Whats this screw / bolt called? dropped it in the engine bay and need a replacement!

Sponsored Links
OK guys thanks, I'll try this , the following bolt going in from below the housing, so the thread appears at the top

then a nut on top to secure the bracket to the housing. So thread remains exposed

Then screw this thing on to the exposed thread (connects to the engine cover)
View attachment 292392
sounds like a plan.

And the important question. Have fun with the filter ? It start ok after new 1 fitted ?

It's handy to have a small stock of nuts and bolts, of known thread sizes, to use as thread gauges.
It's handy to have a stock of nuts/bolts/washers so you can fix something there and then without having to go down the shops or wait on the post!

Even if it means making what you have work - cut bolts down to size, cut the heads off to make a stud, weld bits on the head to make a wing bolt, cut a longer thread on a part threaded bolt, weld a nut on the remains of a broken bolt to extract.

The other night (late on!) I was needing to remove a bearing, had a really good rummage through the junk and managed to find 3 old bolts, imperial thread no doubt, about 15mm wide by about 250mm long. Cut them down to size and they were ideal for the job.

Never throw anything out :LOL:

For the op I would probably cut a bit of threaded rod, or cut the head off a bolt. Might help to put a drop of thread lock on the bottom of it.

Sponsored Links
sounds like a plan.

And the important question. Have fun with the filter ? It start ok after new 1 fitted ?
I had 3 problems along route. First time I've changed the fuel filter on this car (Ford Grand CMAX 1.5TDI 2016), but I have changed fuel filter on a previous car ~ 10 years ago!

1. (Obvious one). I dropped a bolt into the engine bay.
2. Struggled to get one of the fuel hoses out. Turned out you pull a clip up (with flathead screw driver), whilst simultaneously pushing the other part of the clip down and pull the hose out. Easy when you know what to do!
3. I got a MANN filter from Euro car parts, turned out it was the wrong part. Had to go back and the Bosch one was the right one.

Aside from that all went well. Started fine. I syphoned out the old diesel from the housing and gave it a clean. I did fill up the filter housing with diesel as part of the change. Apparently, these fords dont prime the fuel automatically.

Next time I expect it to go swimmingly well. First time is always the hardest!

Last edited:
I had 3 problems along route. First time I've changed the fuel filter on this car (Ford Grand CMAX 1.5TDI 2016), but I have changed fuel filter on a previous car ~ 10 years ago!

1. (Obvious one). I dropped a bolt into the engine bay.
2. Struggled to get one of the fuel hoses out. Turned out you pull a clip up (with flathead screw driver), whilst simultaneously pushing the other part of the clip down and pull the house out. Easy when you know what to do!
3. I got a MANN filter from Euro car parts, turned out it was the wrong part. Had to go back and the Bosch one was the right one.

Aside from that all went well. Started fine. I syphoned out the old diesel from the housing and gave it a clean. I did fill up the filter housing with diesel as part of the change. These fords dont prime the fuel automatically.

Next time I expect it to go swimmingly well. First time is always the hardest!
Very brave. Any problems my car goes straight to the garage. I took a look inside the engine bay on our recently bought car. I shuddered and closed the bonnet quick.

Nothing to look at on most vehicles nowdays, especially diesels. Normally covered by a sound-deadening plastic cover.

Very brave. Any problems my car goes straight to the garage. I took a look inside the engine bay on our recently bought car. I shuddered and closed the bonnet quick.
I know what you mean. I only do minor things, oil + oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, pollen filter and maybe brakes. I wont do anything bigger (e.g. timing belt). And I have a car that's out of warranty (I bought it recently and it had done ~100k) . You of course need to invest in the appropriate tools - can get expensive. One of the benefits of the modern age though is that there's usually a youtube vid explaining how to do stuff! and of course forums like this. I followed this

by the way it turns out the MANN filter I got euro car parts was actually correct. They created a new version of the filter which attaches to the lid instead of the housing bottom. apparently perfectly compatible. Once again there's a YT vid from mann where they explain!!

Last edited:
I’ve got a massive big bucket in work full of nuts and bolts of all sizes. I don't know where they came from…….

I have several such large tubs, on a shelf, containing miscellaneous nuts, bolts washers and wood screws. Any left over on my bench, go into the tubs - 99% will never find a use, but the 1% are a life saver.

On a dull day, you can tip them out and sort them by diameter and length.

Is this it?

If so, M6
If you click on the part number it lists other vehicles the part is used on.
Should be able to get one from a scrapyard/ebay breaking a suitable model.
That's exactly it. That's a great site btw.. thanks for sharing, bookmarked!

For now Ive gone with the DIY solution that others suggested. A M6 stud with two bolts. Here it is with the DIY fix
1673800637231.png

Sponsored Links
Back