What's this?

Our friends in Spain have the same door over their water meter box. i've not seen one in UK

Sponsored Links
Well I moved into the house and finally got time to crack the cabinet open, I hammered a socket onto the lock in the end to open it without the proper key.

Not much in there! Is that telephone cabling? I'm thinking I can block this up and gain and extra 18" on my garage?

P1020395.jpg

P1020396.jpg

If you're prepared to dig a trench and relay duct if that cable (or joints) need maintainence then go ahead and block it up.

Sponsored Links
I don't think it is johnboy, because the duct is grey (colour for telephone) and the crimps and cable in the plastic bag look exactly like bt issue. Pretty sure it's the telephone feed.

If you're prepared to dig a trench and relay duct if that cable (or joints) need maintainence then go ahead and block it up.

I'm comfortable with that. I said it'd be 18" but it's more like 3' length I'll gain on my garage by obstructing that door. I don't have a BT phone and if the worst happens and I need access, I'd only have to smash in the old door (cast aluminium - quite brittle) then make up a wooden or plastic replacement. The vertical pillar on the lean-to garage will only restrict the door from opening, not access entirely.

This is a old rediffussion service ...as you are in Lancashire this is quite common in Skelmersdale..anywhere near you?. It was the early type of cable tv but after a while appeared to vanish

Just googled this and although its got the name on it ..its the same as yours http://offog.org/articles/rediffusion/box-closed.jpeg[/QUOTE]

box-closed.jpeg

Right or wrong, I've just a 15 minute education on Cable TV from before I was born. Very interesting! :mrgreen: I'm in Preston, so not far from Skem.

I'll have a pull on those cables and see where they lead, but I have a feeling they're BT as the main internal phone socket is close by.

I don't think it is johnboy, because the duct is grey (colour for telephone) and the crimps and cable in the plastic bag look exactly like bt issue. Pretty sure it's the telephone feed.

Cajar, you could be right as you said there is grey duct and blue rope...quite common with bt services but I have never seen them housed in a box like that..I also thought phone line but there appears to be to many wires..

This is a old rediffussion service ...as you are in Lancashire this is quite common in Skelmersdale..anywhere near you?. It was the early type of cable tv but after a while appeared to vanish

Just googled this and although its got the name on it ..its the same as yours http://offog.org/articles/rediffusion/box-closed.jpeg[/QUOTE]

Wow, amazing the things you don't notice but pass every day...every house on my road has one of these boxes, and every one of the flats nearby too (same build style). All the boxes are the same size & style as mine, most of them say 'rediffussion' on them. Good shout Johnboy!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back