What's wrong with an old Wylex 106?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My mate's just bought a flat with 2x 60A Wylex fuse switches in the tales before the fuse boards (one for domestics, one for storage heaters). They're probably a few decades old now, but are the same as what he's seen in recent catalogues, so probably 106's.

The electrician he's had round has quoted for replacing these two as well as the rewire and installing new fuse boards.

I've advised that their replacement is not necessary. Any comment?

Sponsored Links
We need to know why he has advised their replacement.

PICTURES!!!

The fuse boards might be wooden backed. The switchfuses probably wont be. What we need to know is, are these actually switchfuses, or obselete VOCBs - which would explain the need for replacement - or RCDs.

Sponsored Links
The electrician he's had round has quoted for replacing these two as well as the rewire and installing new fuse boards.

Does that mean he is rewiring the house?

If so he will need to change the consumer units as the old ones will probably not meet the RCD requirements of the latest regs.

There's something odd here, because the Wylex 106 is a metalclad unit with a 45A main switch. It isn't actually a switchfuse device - and certainly not a 60A device as mentioned by the O/P. Yet, the electrician says something about 'wooden-backed'?

Little wonder that so many people on this forum request photographs, when the O/P is far from clear.......

Much is made of the supposed problem with wooden-framed bases to elderly Wylex units. But this is another old wive's tale, because those frames were (and are still) hardwood which has a superior ignitability characteristic to the 'modern' low-grade plastic of certain CU's....

Lucia.

If tyhe property is being rewired, then I would expect everything right upto the meter terminals to be replaced.

There is no point messing about trying to reuse old bits of equipment here and there when you have no idea what condition it is in or how much abuse it has had to tolerate previously.

Thanks RF for answering the question. For those who want a picture, here it is:

View media item 22731
Yes it is indeed a 108. I didn't check properly because I assumed they went up from 104 for a single 45A unit to 106 for a 60A unit. You live and learn.

He said something about wood but that was all I was told. It doesn't look like it would be wooden-backed to me, in fact it looks quite modern in comparison to some, and must have been part of a landlord's rewire at some stage.

There's another one for the other flat directly below it, and they're each fed from dedicated 100A cutouts.

It has a wooden frame, and it will actually be open backed.

Personally I would want to see it replaced.

It might even be the electricians intention to supply the flat with more than a 60A supply?

Looks like it is mounted on a wooden back frame.
Presume to make room for the meter tails below it.

Looks in good condition. Will the '13' written on it clean off?

Might be worth a punt on eBay next time they have a free listing day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back