Wylex Fuse Box Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just joined your excellent forum and I'm hoping someone can help me.

My boyfriend has an old-fashipned Wylex fusebox - the type where you have a series of little plug in cartridges (I think that's what they're called?).

This evening he was using an unusually large number of household appliances all at the same time - tumble dryer, washing machine, convector heater plus others, when he smelt burning.

On investigation, he discovered that the 30 amp fuse on the Wylex fuse box through which all the downstairs wall sockets are routed was extremely hot to touch and smelt burnt. However, the fuse had not blown.

He turned off all the appliances and the fuse returned to a normal temperature. He then turned off the electricity and inspected the cartridge, which he saw was melted around the top one of the two "prongs".

He now notices that when he uses the tumble dryer the fuse heats up quickly and becomes too hot to touch.

The fuse also heats up when several appliances are run off that circuit at the same time. However, the circuit still functions.

Clearly an electrician should be called in to inspect the fuse box. However, my boyfriend is concerned that the electrician will determine that the entire house requires rewiring. He's in rented accommodation and doesn't cherish the prospect of the house being rewired whilst he's in occupation - he won't really have a say in the matter as it's up to the letting agents what happens.

Is complete rewiring always a likely scenario with this type of problem? Is there some sort of requirement that it all has to be rewired under EU Regulations for instance?

Or is it possible / more likely that he simply needs a new modern fuse box with circuit breakers and the site of any actual fault in, perhaps, a small portion of the wiring sorting out in isolation?

He's lived there now for a couple of years and a further complication is that one of the sockets in the kitchen has never worked and the switch has locked in an intermediate position. I'm guessing that the two faults aren't connected.

Any advice at all would be appreciated?

Many thanks in advance!

Wendy

Sponsored Links
It really is not possible to say without seeing the consumer unit what the likely outcome would be ,but it is highly stupid to carry on using something which is obviously overloading. Would he rather have the house rewired around him or burn down around him? Switch it off & call your landlord URGENTLY!!!!

Pull the fuse out, check the screws that hold the fusewire are tight and there is one strand of the correct fusewire in there, check the pins are clean and no one has rubbed vasaline on them! With the isolator off remove the shield behind the fuse and check the wires into the top terminal are tightened down properly and both are gripped properly in the terminal.

A new fusebox would certainly be advantagous, and having one would not mean a good installation has to be re-wired (of course if its of poor quality it'll be in need of re-wireing anyway - we can't tell over the 'net), it'll quite likely need the main bonds installing/updateing though. A new fusebox is not strictly required though, BS7671 still recognises BS3036 semi-enclosed fuses, however there are regulations which call for RCD protection on sockets which are seemed reasonably likely to supply equipment out in the garden (this can often be added without a new board, but often a new board is the easier and tidier option). Things are complicated even further by the fact that BS7671 is non-statutory, however every responsible landlord will do his best to comply with it (otherwise should anything go wrong, he might have difficultly in proving he excercised his 'duty of care') Does he have a Periodic report for the inspection and test carried out just before you moved in?

You could post us a piccy when you've taken the cover off. (Switch off first!)

Sponsored Links
Adam 151 & securespark, I am sorry to criticise you but I do not think you are treating this post with the concern it deserves. Haven't you seen a burnt out Wylex CU? It is not a pretty site & has the potential for serious consequences.

jj4091 said:
Adam 151 & securespark, I am sorry to criticise you but I do not think you are treating this post with the concern it deserves. Haven't you seen a burnt out Wylex CU? It is not a pretty site & has the potential for serious consequences.

Good to criticize, if the fuse is getting that hot then there is a fair chance heat has been conducted into the conductor and the insulation on it may have melted away. If that conductor was pressing against another then who know what short circuits are possible.

I rent a house out to tenants, I would be annoyed if they did not report this sort of thing to me immediately it happened.

Bernard
Sharnbrook

Many of these Wylexes still have rewirable fuses in them.

In rented accomodation you never know if a previous occupant has replaced a blown piece of fusewire with a bit of fence wire, or a nail, or a double-layer of fusing.

Anyway, as said, there is obviously a fault and it obviously needs looking at by a competent person. A 30A circuit will start to be overloaded once it has more than two power hungry appliances on it (choose any three from oven, washing machine, tumble-drier, dishwasher, electric heater) and rewirable fuses do not blow very quickly.

jj4091 said:

I treated the post with more concern than the OP. They knew the fusebox was heating up, but carried on using appliances, despite this!

Quite agree, but I would have thought you would have been more concerned about the safety issue here & the urgency in getting a qualified person on site, than trying to help them fix something they are obviously not qualified to do.

The safety issue would have been sorted when the circuit was powered down.

I still maintain it was fair comment to ask for a picture: the damage may be rectifiable by an amateur without compromise. If it were badly damaged, then we would have advised the need for a pro.

jj4091 said:
It really is not possible to say without seeing the consumer unit what the likely outcome would be ,but it is highly stupid to carry on using something which is obviously overloading. Would he rather have the house rewired around him or burn down around him? Switch it off & call your landlord URGENTLY!!!!
>>>>>

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. He isn't using the circuit, he removed the fuse last night and has his fridge/freezer plugged in via an extension cable upstairs.

Best wishes,
Wendy

<<<
check the pins are clean and no one has rubbed vasaline on them! With the isolator off remove the shield behind the fuse and check the wires into the top terminal are tightened down properly and both are gripped properly in the terminal
.>>>>

Hi there,

Many thanks for the reply. The house was previously rented out to students so who knows what they got up to with the fuse box!!! It's probably best that he waits for the electrician later I'm thinking rather than trying anything himself.

A new fusebox would certainly be advantagous, and having one would not mean a good installation has to be re-wired (of course if its of poor quality it'll be in need of re-wireing anyway - we can't tell over the 'net), it'll quite likely need the main bonds installing/updateing though. A new fusebox is not strictly required though, BS7671 still recognises BS3036 semi-enclosed fuses,

Thanks, that was all he wanted to know really. Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound in my OP that he wouldn't call the landlord/electrician today (it was very late when I posted :( ), he just wanted to prepare mentally for the likely scenario. I believe he only tested the appliances one at a time to see if it heated up the fuse again (matters are slightly complicated by the fact that I live in Wales and he is in London and I asked him to email me what had happened so I could post here for advice overnight) - he afterwards removed the fuse and isn't using the circuit at all at present.

Does he have a Periodic report for the inspection and test carried out just before you moved in?[/quote
That I don't know, but will ask him later!

Thanks again!
Wendy [/quote]

07112006291.jpg

:eek: :eek:

I've seen a few toasted wylex boards. They seem pretty good at self extinguishing to me.

securespark said:
The safety issue would have been sorted when the circuit was powered down.

I still maintain it was fair comment to ask for a picture: the damage may be rectifiable by an amateur without compromise. If it were badly damaged, then we would have advised the need for a pro.
I am sorry securespark, but I say again have you seen a burnt out CU? I think the photograph backs me up, that's how they start & can finish up a lot worse than that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back