When are Blueprints required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Thanks to everyone ahead of time.

Heres the situation. The vacated duplex we are being asked to bring up to code has a set of stairs that go from the first floor to the basement, with unequal risers. The basement is not much more than a cellar with stone walls (crumbling) that is home to the water heater and washer/dryer.

The stairs need to be brought up to code. There is only like 6'2" head clearance in this basement, and coming down the stairs you need to duck down as the landing for the flight of stairs going to the second floor apt. is in the way of code acceptance. There also is not the required clearance at the bottom of the stairs. I'm not sure of our solutions yet as to remedy the problems. My question is when are blueprints required? There will most likely need to have some extensive modifications done. Is there a code or rule for when the house's original load bearing points are modified? We may do a dormer for the second floor stairs, or an external staircase? Not sure yet. I am not A GC. The friend whom I work with is, and is currently licensed. But I have been with him in the past when some seemingly simple tasks have gotten us into some trouble simply for not knowing the rules. I know the stairs themselves are not load bearing but some header points may need to be moved.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back