When I bleed two of my radiators, no water comes out - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had to bleed all of my radiators due to some maintenance that had been done in a neighbour's flat which required the water to be shut off.

All but two of my radiators have bled fine but when I try to bleed these two, no water comes out.

I am unsure as to whether this is due to the work which was undertaken at my neighbours flat as I have never bled the radiators before but despite no water coming out, the radiators are hot both at the top and bottom.

Is this something I should worry about?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Sponsored Links
You mean nothing comes out? Not even air?

it is not normal for work in a neighbour's home to have any effect on your home, since the heating systems are normally independent. Why did you think you needed to bleed them?

Did you have the pump running when you tried to bleed them? Turn it off.

Are these radiators at the same level as the others, or higher?

Does you boiler have a pressure gauge? What is it reading?

Thanks for your response :)

No, I did not hear any air come out either.

I bled the radiators as the workmen from the management company put a letter through the door saying to do so as the system had been flushed.

I have no boiler or pump in my flat as it is a large communal boiler and pump for my small block of flats.

The flat has two levels, all upstairs radiators bled fine, the problem is with 2 of the 4 radiators which are downstairs.

I have no boiler or pump in my flat as it is a large communal boiler and pump for my small block of flats.
Then you need to take it up with the people who did the flushing.

Unless it is due to the pump running, it might be that the bleed valves are blocked with dirt; otherwise it is very odd.

Sponsored Links
Now, i'm no plumber, or heating engineer, but the OP has said nothing comes out, water or air, yet the rads are hot at top and bottom.

So, where exactly is the problem? (I'd expect some water to come out i guess)
But, the rads work.....

...am i missing something here?

If a blocked bleed point remove the screw and poke with a thin needle held in pliars.

Tony

Now, i'm no plumber, or heating engineer, but the OP has said nothing comes out, water or air, yet the rads are hot at top and bottom.

So, where exactly is the problem? (I'd expect some water to come out i guess)
But, the rads work.....

...am i missing something here?

Well this what I'm wondering - as everything still works ok, do I need to worry about no water or air coming out?

You only need to bleed a rad if its cold at the TOP !

Bleeding creates more problems than it solves!

Tony

Thanks for everyone's help, it's been greatly appreciated! I think I'm going to leave them alone seeing as they seem to be working ok and not worry about the fact that no water comes out :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back