where are the draincocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi.. am trying to drain the central heating system and could not find any draincocks on any of the downstairs rads.... noticed that there are 2x draincocks outside under kitchen window and assumed one was the mains riser. Is it likely that the other is for draining central heating system.... Nothing i can see that differentiates the two draincocks

Sponsored Links
Like the guy said above, try them, you will soon see by the colour of the water, if it looks like you wouldnt drink it then you found your heating drain off.

On a side note what heating system do you have, many competant plumbers tend to put a drain off underneath combi's around a few inches from the floor.

It may be worth for future problems (if any) to have someone come in and fit a drainoff onto one of your radiators, the less time someone has to spend draning it down they quicker they might leave. Hope this helps

James - An Apprentice who reads this forum for knowledge!

Certain these will be for the CH, best place for them, wish all were located outside, not trailing hose through house, no worry if there is a slight leak from the drain and hose, plus they are generally lower than you would get one of a radiator, therefore easier to drain more out, making soldering easier as nearly all water is removed from system.

If this is a drain cock, dont add one inside, more hassle than its worth, IMHO

Cant wait to be shot down over this one :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Certain these will be for the CH, best place for them, wish all were located outside, not trailing hose through house, no worry if there is a slight leak from the drain and hose, plus they are generally lower than you would get one of a radiator, therefore easier to drain more out, making soldering easier as nearly all water is removed from system.

If this is a drain cock, dont add one inside, more hassle than its worth, IMHO

Cant wait to be shot down over this one :LOL: :LOL:

I agree drainvalves outside would be just awesome for practicality, but on the serious side frost and stuff would destroy them, I think one on the inside of a garage door/back door would be best personally. But then again im not a pro :)

:rolleyes: Seen and drained loads that have been outside, never had a problem, or heard of a problem, at least outside someone is not going to put 10 coats of gloss paint over them!!!

frost don't distroy garden tap does it ? so why should it distroy draincocks.

i love em outside no need for hose thats always buried in the van, take the end right out and let it drain.

Its very rare for a drain cock to be fitted outside on the CW supply.

Its most likely they are flow and return connections on the CH fitted by a sensible installer. Its a pity that only a few installers are so considerate. They allow no fuss power flushing safely outside if even needed.

I fit ballofix valves on them as they are more reliable than drain cocks.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back