Where to buy from!

We think that we charge a reasonable amount for our services.

But unfortunately you are giving the impression that its YOU who are wanting to rip us off!

Sponsored Links
You've not included any evidence where you're being charged 'over the odds'. What you're driving at is you wish to get your installation to the point where an RGI simply makes a final gas connection, does the paperwork then takes responsibility for it all. No doubt you have a value in your mind what that's worth.

The point I'm making to you is that I don't mind anyone DIYing everything. Anyone who calls me with your proposal (I've had a few over the years), is politely or rudely (depending on their attitude) declined.

In any job there's a minimum amount before you're told to s*d off. Imagine asking a cab to lower the fare if you drive it, cheaper bread if you supply the flour or free entry to the lapdance club if your Mrs performs.

But why shouldn't a home owner try and save some money? what's wrong with that?
There is nothing wrong with people saving money by doing things themselves.

However if you can't do it yourself, you pay someone else to do it.

In some cases there are things which customers can do to save money - digging a trench for pipes or cables, clearing away rubbish and furniture, removing old rotten floorboards which need to be replaced, pulling down an old ceiling or removing old plaster from the walls before replastering.

Fixing a bracket on a wall or connecting a couple of pipes is not going to save any time or money for anyone.
If you supply a substantial item such as a boiler, plenty of people will not want to install it, since when it goes wrong, or you have not purchased the correct item or have forgotten certain other essential parts which are required, it's typically the case that the customer expects the tradesperson to magically make all of this right without charging extra. Even if the customer suggests they will take responsibility for faults etc., this all changes as soon as problems occur.

It is generally the case that if a construction project is abandoned for whatever reason and others are called in to complete it, those incoming persons will charge a substantial premium, typically 20%-50% or even more. Jobs partly done by customers or anyone else are the same.

There are also certain 'customers' who find it impossible to get any tradespersons to do any work for them. The reasons for this are a total mystery to the customer, but are obvious to everyone else.

But why shouldn't a home owner try and save some money? what's wrong with that? Are you telling me you would pay over the odds for something?

The above comments, like adding on @rseh0le tax at 25% and admitting you can get the boiler at way less cost than I can, make you all sound like you would rip people off....

And why shouldn't a business try to make a profit!
The ar53hole tax a a deferent for rude customers to make then go away, they have a choice and can use someone else if not and they use you your covered for the trouble they will course (there is such a thing as cowboy customers too)
If we get a boiler at way less cost than you that would be because we buy a lot of that product and so get better terms for the product from our supplier. That is our privilege and not yours my local car dealer brought my van for a lot less than I did of them, did they sell it to me at cost? Of course not otherwise they would go bankrupt with that business model.
It's about time the public got realistic about trades also being a business that needs to make profit to survive. Too many think we should just be earning a wage and not a penny more, and all of our overheads should also come out of our wages, which in my case would be £15000 a year which would leave me with about £15000 before tax to survive on per annum :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
You obviously dont want to take the trouble to even see what an RGI by law has to do.

It is:-

Check and agree location.

Fit bracket.

Assemble and fit flue.

Fit gas supply.

Test and commission boiler.

Notify installation.

I am one of the few RGIs who will agree to the customer buying the boiler and doing other aspects of the work as long as I do those essential aspects listed above.

Tony

Doug, get the boiler, open the box and do all the work. Have a go at running the gas line too. You will save yourself a fortune..

See these guys with gas tickets, they are all chancers charging sky high prices. They will tell you all sort of things like you need uber size pipes when a garden hose or this new grey coloured pipe is all that is required

When you have done all the necessary work, put an advert in local newsagent window inviting 6 quotes from local handymen to complete the task

May I wish you best of luck in your quest. See these guys who are giving you negative vibes, don't believe them. You see, they get a crate of beer for every Atag they buy. When you buy this boiler, you do not qualify since you are not a RGI, so these guys are a little miffed as they will not get this thirst quencher. They also talk a lot but do little work which makes them very thirsty, hence crate of beer courtesy of Atag. This is just between you and me, don't tell this to anyone else the crates of beer will disappear ;)

I rather like it when a customer chooses to buy the boiler himself.

It saves me having any involvement with the warrantee if it goes wrong.

But then I don't add a huge markup to the boiler price, just £20 to cover my collection and delivery costs.

Of course as I don't make anything on the boiler price, I have to quote a higher price for the installation which some people think makes me more expensive for the whole job because they don't realise that others add a few hundred to the boiler price.

Tony

I said I can get the boiler a lot cheaper meaning when I put my 10% on it you still pay less than you would buying the boiler direct.

This way I make some money and you save some EVERYONES A WINNER :rolleyes:

I said I can get the boiler a lot cheaper meaning when I put my 10% on it you still pay less than you would buying the boiler direct.

This way I make some money and you save some EVERYONES A WINNER :rolleyes:

How vary dare you, you shall make a days money which I think fair and not a penny more, say £200

And out of that you have to pay for

Gas training and assessment every 5 years

Gas safe registration every year

Ongoing courses with various boiler manus on the latest in heating technology and fault finding so as to offer your customers the best service you can.

A van, van insurance, van maintenance, van servicing and mot, road tax

Public liability insurance

All of you tools around £3000 worth and there ongoing upkeep, maintenance and eventual replacement.

Flue gas analyser £600 so you can commission and service an appliance safely and properly

Annual calibration of gas analyser £150

All work wear/uniform

An accountant and book keeper

Whatever's left after that also give 20% to the tax man.

Should leave you with £80 a day to survive on which is more than fair but you won't get any holiday pay or sick pay so must work 365 days a year.

What's the point of 10% on something you have to lay out 4 figures for and can only sell one at a time? The customer may as well buy the boiler, I won't share the labour though.

What's the point of 10% on something you have to lay out 4 figures for and can only sell one at a time? The customer may as well buy the boiler, I won't share the labour though.

Coz its £100 extra and no effort. Its the only perk of me buying 100's of boilers is the fact I get em cheap which in turn allows me to add my bit to the cost

No effort? Your assumed responsibilities under the Sale of Goods Act is worth more than that, let alone any call backs. Don't take that as an insult, far from it. For a one off sale of anything 10% is not worth it. Selling truck loads, different story.

No effort? Your assumed responsibilities under the Sale of Goods Act is worth more than that, let alone any call backs. Don't take that as an insult, far from it. For a one off sale of anything 10% is not worth it. Selling truck loads, different story.

Anything goes wrong inside 5 years (much longer than the sales of goods act covers) its a warranty issue covered by the boiler maker (providing you installed it correctly) so its no risk really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back