Where to drain condensate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking at having a new combi fitted, possibly a Baxi Duo-tec 40, in place of my Sime Friendly. The one problem I can see is that the new combi is condensing and I dont have a drain close for it to drain into. I could possibly drain it into the front garden as a soakaway but is it allowed to drain into a water butt which I can then empty when needed?

Sponsored Links
Your gas safe installer will know - because they all know Your Home is Your World :mrgreen: Water might be allright for Acid Loving plants.

I wouldn't worry about it, and leave it to your RGI to work that one out.

it is undesirable to have a drain where it can freeze in very cold weather (has been a big problem this year)

best solution is to run an internal pipe to a waste in the house, for example from kitchen sink or bathroom. This is worth doing even if it is a bit difficult or costs extra. It can easily cost you a couple of hundred if the pipe freezes, and you will be without heat until fixed, so the investment is worthwhile.

the acidic waste will erode concrete (including your house foundations) but you can run it through limestone container to neutralise it.

Sponsored Links
Unfortuatly where the boiler is, there is no easy way to get to any drain. The boiler will be on the side of the house and the drains front and back are on the boundrys with next door, both ways the pipe will have to pass a door with a step outside it, covering a distance of around 8m.

Like I said: don't worry about it, a good RGI will sort it out; you don't tell the garage how to fix your car, do you?

At least you are aware of the possible problem, As said, discuss with your RGI, We had BG fit a new wet system 5 yrs ago, Didn't know anything about the condensate till last january, when it started to give problems,
freezing etc, boiler in front of house, drains at back of house, and now I read the installers manual, no more than 3 metres of 32 mm pipe, well ours is 6 metres. My options now are, try and run it internally, meaning landing and bathroom floor up, and horizontal pipes full of acidic water,or a condensate pump with similar internal route, or trace heating on the modified external pipe, with no horizontal runs.
Whatever the RGI recommends, be aware of the options, I think our guy just did what was easiest, never mentioned it at the time and we had all the floors up for a complete system install.

PP

Would it be ok to run the condense into a 1 1/2" waste pipe running from the bath it is by far closest run for me and if so can I get a solvent weld 1 1/2" to 3/4" reducer or even 1 1/2" to 1 1/4" then 1 1/4" to 3/4" ?

My plumber guy is coming round to hang the boiler on the wall and do the flue and gas and I wanted to run the condense whist he was fitting the flue.

Don't like to ask him on a saturday and I would like to have the bits ready

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back