Where to finish support at front of shower tray?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
You need to support the front lip of the tray; can you confirm what it’s made of? If its stone resin, it will almost certainly crack! What ply are you using? What are you planning to bed the tray on? What sort of front panel is it?

Hi Richard,

It's stone resin and it's sitting on 18mm ply with a bed of mortar supporting. I've bought a 9mm tray front and if I carry the ply to the edge of the try the tray front will protrude by 9mm.

I can either support the front of the tray or have the tray front sit flush with the tray but not both. What do you folks do?

The ply should be WBP, don’t use standard ply. Are you mounting it onto a plinth? If so you should have bought an easy plumb tray with integral plinth & tray sides, these are usually either acrylic or GRP, your photo looks like a standard stone resin tray which are designed to be bedded straight onto the floor with no upstand.

Stone resin trays are rather brittle & must be supported over the entire base, most manufacturers recommend a weak mortar mix. If you don’t support the outer lip, you will run a very strong risk of the tray cracking as the entire front edge will be unsupported.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224888

Sponsored Links
Hi Richard,

Yes, I am mounting it onto an upstand made of WBP ply sitting on 4 pieces of 3 by 4 timber, covered in plastic and then a mortar mix to bed the tray in. The instructions on the tray say it can be used in this way but don't specify what to do at the front lip. I could run the ply under the front lip and fill the cavity with mortar and just accept that the front panel will be proud unless there's another way?

Thanks for your help - much easier to get this right now than replace a tray in 6 months!

Just for reference folks in case anyone else has this problem, I overcame it by filling the void with mortar - the tray is then almost fully supported at the front. I have the lip unsupported and the front will now fit under it. If it does crack in teh future (which I think very unlikely with this engineered solution) then I'll post back here. Otherwise this seems a good method :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back