where to put a pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im worried that by adding two electric showers, that could be used at the same time, onto the mains it might result in poor performance, am I right? The water pressure at the moment is ok but not great.
Have considered electric pumped shower but that doesnt seem to be the answer either, having read something here on the forum?
Is there a way to ensure better mains pressure? A pump added somewhere? Are these expensive to run on a day to day basis?
Would be grateful for any advise..pulling my hair out

Sponsored Links
The only way to increase mains pressure directly is to contact your water board. However you can increase the flow rate by for example changing any old lead pipes for larger bore mdpe pipe.

There are other routes such as installing a cold water tank and pumping from that.
pete

thanks for the advice. When you say contact the water board, what can they do? What question do I ask?I do have a cold water tank as was thinking that the second shower should be a triton T90si but have read a review on here which basically said it was useless.
I have had most of my pipes changed to larger bore already but didnt make a real difference.

Cheers for the quick reply

The majority of electric showers have to run from mains fed.
If you do a pressure test on your system first , you will need a pressure guage cheap to buy from screwfix.
If your pressure is less than 1 bar the water co may increase the pressure rate in your street.
Pete

Sponsored Links
If you have a cold water tank, and it supplies a hot water cylinder which is heated by a boiler or immersion heater, then you can get good flow of hot and cold water at balanced pressure. However unless the tank is very high the pressure will not be much. But you can put a shower pump on the supplies close to the shower, this will increase the pressure and flow at the shower head which is what you want. these shower pumps only switch on when you are using the shower, they do not heat the water and use very little electricity.

As the are not using electricity to heat the water, and are not drawing water from the mains, you can use one of these at the same time as your mains-fed electric shower. Two electric showers together might need more electricity than your house circuits can provide, and there might not be enough water supply from the mains to run them both with good flow.

The pump-fed shower will actually give more hot water, faster, than the electric shower.

thank you John D thats all been very helpful. Ihave actually had the electrics done to include two electric showers but its the cold water pressure to both that I think I might have a problem with. Your idea of leaving the electric shower alone and putting a pump to the shower connected to the hot and cold seems the way to go. I was hoping that an lectric pumped shower would have been clever as it heats its own hot water and therefore not relying on the hot storage but hey ho!!
Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back