Where to start - Central Heating driving me nuts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Experts

We have some problems with our central heating that are getting worse, and B/Gas are not interested in getting to the root cause. They want to charge us £1200 to "seal" the system to prevent air getting into it but are not, in my mind, adrressing the multitude of issues that we have. They have been quite willing to take the monthly 3* insurance cover for the last 10 years, though. So, here's what's happening.

1) This is the minor irritation. One of the downstairs rad is cold at the bottom and hot at the top. Or, rather, it was like that until a B/gas eng took a water sample from it 2 days ago. Now, that rad is always COLD, even if the TRV is set to MAXIMUM and all other rads are switched off on theirTRVs. The water, by the way, was clear from that rad, i.e not full of muck / junk / debris.
(I am going to insist on a repeat PowerFlush - the first one was done in 2005.)

2) Here's the major irritiation. The central heating pump (made by Circulating Pumps) makes the most awful noise. Sometimes it happens straight away after C/H is switched on, sometimes it takes several hours to happen, sometimes it lasts all day, somestimes it doesn't happen at all and never happens when B/Gas have come to check it out !! It sounds like a "dry bearing" noise, but it isn't necessarily constant in pitch or intensity. Suffice it to say, but that sound permeates the entire house, drives you mad, and we end up turning the C/H off, just to get rid of the sound.
As soon as the pump is turned off, there is a gurgling sound like water returning, so I accept air is a factor. But, we have had the same system for 10 years and the problem for the last year. If air was the only cause, then why was it OK for the first 9 years ?
(This is also the 3rd pump from B/Gas)

Sometimes, the noise is coming from the pump and yet the boiler (Potterton) itself is not firing, so there must be some circulation problem ?

3) B/Gas contend that at leats some of the problem is cause by the "bad design" of having ~ 2m of horizontal pipe in the loft, because the tanks are not vertically above the boiler. This may well be poor design, but it's been like it for at least the last 10 years and certainly as long as the 3* B/Gas insurance cover. So, to my mind, if it's that serious a design law, then it should have been spotted 10 years ago when we started the insurance.

4) The boiler does do a lot of banging. We are in a hard water area, so I accept that's probably limescale.

So, experts - can you advise me ?

I want to address the noisy pump first of all and think that it needs bleeding, but it's not evident where the "bleed" valve is. It looks like a Circulating Pumps "CP" model, from their website.

Cheers

AndyT[/img]

Sponsored Links
Cp 53 a cheap myson pump badged for BG.

Noise could be cavitation (trapped air circulating inside the pump).

Making the system a sealed system will probably cure a lot of your ills to be honest and if they are going to pay for it or do then I really can't see the problem.

Possibly blockage/s around cold feed/air seperator. Replacing and maybe reconfiguring this section with new pump and valves followed by a chemical flush could work wonders.

When pumps have been changed in the past has sludge been an issue?

3 pumps in ten years says poor system design to me. which encourages sludge build up.

Sponsored Links
Why dont you get a BG engineer to bleed your pump for you? or at least ask how to do it?

If your radiator is cold at bottom and hot at top, then it sound like circulation problem, your radiator might have snow balled in the middle? a big mountain of magnetite sticking in the middle? tiny space at each end for water to enter and leave. Could try taking rad off and flushing it properly with a hose pipe? This is a lot more effective than any flushing machine on the market.

Also, could manual air vents not be fitted to the 2m lengths of pipe in the loft? then you would be able to remove any airlocks manually?

Dan

I would also go along with rob, with cold feed blockage, sludged up, or even as simple as no water in the F&E tank in the loft.

Has anyone checked this?

if sludge is the problem then so could corrosion be. Changing to a pressurised system could find all the weak spots.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back