Where would ground level be measured from for outbuilding on sloped garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Really needed some advice before I carry on with outbuilding.
I am building an outhouse roughly 20sqm with a height of 2.5m as it is within neighbors boundary.
I have a sloped garden. From the front of the building it currently measures 2.6m before the roofing is installed.
From the back of the building it measures 1.9M before roofing.
My main concern is from the front, I have gone past the permitted height, but not from the back.

Only advice I could find is the following from the Leicester City Council website "the height of the building should be measured from the highest ground level immediately adjacent to the building at the highest point"

I have attached pics to give a clear picture. Roofing is due to go on this weekend. Really don't want to start unless I know I won't have to pull it all down again.
Not on the greatest of terms with neighbor so I am definitely expecting a planning officer to show up.

The 1st pic is from the front.
2nd pic from the back.
3rd pic is the side
4th pic is of the back.

I did dig out quite a lot of the garden to try make the ground flat to build on. You can see in the 3rd pic where the ground level is

Could anyone please advise on where I currently stand?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-09-05 at 19.31.07.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-09-05 at 19.31.07.jpeg
    412.3 KB · Views: 109
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-09-05 at 19.31.40.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-09-05 at 19.31.40.jpeg
    519.9 KB · Views: 101
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-09-05 at 19.38.22.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-09-05 at 19.38.22.jpeg
    388.6 KB · Views: 118
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-09-05 at 19.38.23.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-09-05 at 19.38.23.jpeg
    692.9 KB · Views: 105
Sponsored Links
"Only advice I could find is the following from the Leicester City Council website "the height of the building should be measured from the highest ground level immediately adjacent to the building at the highest point"

So is the highest point of land at the front or the back of your building? If it is at the back of the building, then you may have a chance of 'interpretating' the rules to mean that, so long as the front of your building is less than 2.5m higher than the high level at the back, you are within the rules.

Bit of a longshot but it may work.

didn’t mean to post twice. You’re ok, as long as your roof isn’t sufficiently deep to take the side that measures 1.9m, over the 2.5m mark

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It's going to be a cold roof.
Using 7x2 timbers with a 4x2 wall plate so all in roughly 2.5 metres for the roof.
Thank you so much for the advice, been sat in garden for last hour worrying if i've gone too high.

"Only advice I could find is the following from the Leicester City Council website "the height of the building should be measured from the highest ground level immediately adjacent to the building at the highest point"

So is the highest point of land at the front or the back of your building? If it is at the back of the building, then you may have a chance of 'interpretating' the rules to mean that, so long as the front of your building is less than 2.5m higher than the high level at the back, you are within the rules.

Bit of a longshot but it may work.
Highest point is at the front which is 2.6m currently.
Back of the building is 1.9m

Highest bit of garden is at the back of the main house

Last edited:
Hi all.
Just an update.
Had council inspector come inspect the outbuilding.
She measured from the front and said it's 38cm too high.
I tried telling her measure from the back as the ground is sloping down,the higher ground is at the back.
She said she knows what she's doing.
I didn't push the matter to far as I didn't want to get into an argument.
She said she will go back, do some survey of original ground level and write back to me.
Now I'm proper nervous.alot of blood and sweat went into building it.
Has anyone got any further advice?
Would I be able to challenge the councils inspection with an independent inspector ?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Highest point is the highest point and can't really be disputed. Looks like the highest point is in the last photo next to the tyres.

Ask the planner if she really knows what she is doing, as the highest ground can be seen on site and a decision made within seconds.

You can challenge the council's inspection with that very picture, if need be.

Highest point is the highest point and can't really be disputed. Looks like the highest point is in the last photo next to the tyres.

Ask the planner if she really knows what she is doing, as the highest ground can be seen on site and a decision made within seconds.

You can challenge the council's inspection with that very picture, if need be.
Thank you for the response.

That's exactly the point I was trying to make to her.
She just kept refusing to measure from the back, and only measured from the front.
Now I'm just gonna have to worry for the next six weeks,hoping and praying nothing comes back.

Email her some pictures taken from the higher ground, with a tape measure showing the height "for assistance and clarity".

Planning rules or social interaction rules? :unsure:

Worst thing to do would be to tell her that she does not know her job! All jobsworths know their jobs very well.

Best thing to do is to help her do her job and reach the correct conclusion, and in a way that says to her that you both know what her job is.

Hi all,
Just and update.
Received the dreaded letter.
Really gutted.
Can anyone advise best course of action.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG-20240411-WA0022.jpg
    IMG-20240411-WA0022.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 32

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back