Which are the best guttering sealants?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks

I have got a bit of a problem at the end of the guttering where it joins the (rented) house next door. It was OK until next door had its old guttering 'improved', replacing it with new plastic guttering. Unfortunately, the roofers they had in didn't seal that new guttering to join back onto my guttering properly where they meet, so now I am trying to do it instead, as it looks like the landlord has decided it's my problem. There is no visible gap, but the water is getting through somehow, leaking out underneath the guttering.

Previously, on other leaks over the years, I've always just used the cheaper sealant options, like Screwfix's own brand for example, for a couple of quid, with no problems, but on this occasion it seems that the job is just too much of a stretch for them. They are generally the polybutene type, which stays 'semi-dry' even after curing. Unfortunately, with this current problem, even after many days curing, when a few hours of heavy rain arrives, the sealant always seems to develop a weak spot, and the water in the gutter begins leaking through underneath again.

I'm wondering if I'm just getting what I pay for? Are there any really good quality gutter sealants out there that I need to be using instead, as this is obviously a job beyond the standard requirements. Are there any gutter sealants that will set more solid, similar to an external frame sealant or bathroom sealant, to make a more rubbery join that will withstand the weight of the water above it as it drains to the downpipe?

If anybody has some suggestions about a good 'industry strength' sealant for this type of problem, I would be really grateful. I am at the stage where it will just be a false economy to start trying out one sealant after another, hoping to eventually find one that cures tough enough.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Dow Corning Trademate Lead/gutter sealer should be a good one But- what is your gutter made of and has it been mechanically fixed to the plastic one ?. You can get specific iron/ plastic joints too.

Hello

Thanks for that tip. Is it this one:
http://www.geocel.co.uk/catalogue/single-brand/trade-mate-range/trade-mate-lead-and-gutter-seal

It says it is silicon rubber based, presumably this means it will cure to be fully dry, rather than stay tacky like the polybutene types?

It currently looks like a bodge job to me: I would have expected some sort of universal joint to be available. This sort of problem, matching up different sized gutters, must still happen a lot: they have a new square-ish plastic gutter, whereas mine is still an old-school semicircular profile: could be asbestos! If I remember rightly, they have just fitted the new gutter section inside the old section, then tried to seal it, unsuccessfully, and I haven't managed to really sort it, though it is a lot better since I had a go.

Is there some sort of joint I should be using as well?

Cheers

That's the stuff you linked to. Square ish gutter that's not going to be near any half round :unsure: profile. Real bodge. Can you take a photo ? might be able to identify it and see if they do an adapter . Maybe have a look at floplast gutter from screwfix- common cheap gutter they may have used- and they do adapters to half round.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Re: CT1. Thanks for that suggestion. Is this the right one:
http://www.sealantsonline.co.uk/ProductGrp/CT1_Unique_All_in_One_Sealant_Adhesive

According to their spiel, this is a polymer based sealant that would be better than a silicon based product, but does it dry more than a polybutene caulk?

I will check out the joints at Screwfix again, then if I get stuck, I will accept the kind offer of looking at a photo. Presumably, though, I would have to remove the guttering to fit a new joint: that might be a bit of a problem, as I am not sure whether my old guttering would stand up to it.

Just as Nige says CT1 or anything polymer. A little bit cheaper that CT1 and you can get fix all by Soudal. OP if by any chance you are near me you can have a tube, I got about 36 in my garage.

Thanks Mw Roofline. Unfortunately I am nowhere near you, although my mother-in-law is! I've managed to find a stockist for CT1 near me, though I had to contact the C-Tec Regional Office first: for future reference to anybody else who is interested, apparently branches of James Hargreaves Plumbing Depot sell it, but nowhere else near me does at all, so it might depend on where you are as to how easy it is to get hold of?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back