Which blocks to use

Sponsored Links
Wave, ooi, just how big is this edifice about which you are having extreme concerns re blocks and dpm actually going to be?

Sponsored Links
Mountains; molehills; nuts; sledgehammers.

I'm sure that you get my drift.

Thanks John, that's been very helpful. I think we will probably use thermolite because of the insulation value and because everyone keeps telling me to shut-up about blocks! Out of interest which would you choose?

The proof being in the pudding; I've just used thermolite for my own extension. Although the cavity is only 75mm so had to really to achieve the min U-value, but I'm quite happy about it.

I've specified full fill cavity and partial fill cavity in about equal measures over the years and either is a good method. On balance though full fill is easier for the bricklayers to get right and when I have had problems it is always with poor fitting or badly clipped rigid boards. It's easy enough for a decent bricky but you do get the odd one that cutting somewhere close to a straight line is just that bit beyond them.

It's easy enough for a decent bricky but you do get the odd one that cutting somewhere close to a straight line is just that bit beyond them.
But wavetrain's a self builder, are you suggesting a self builder would accept anything but 100% perfection? :evil:

If your going to fill the cavity with insulation, you will need to reduce its effectiveness to around 80% of the quoted value due to the increase in thermal bridging that will be caused by the insulation being in contact with the external wall, something that you would not get with a cavity. This would increase the overall U value of wavetrains design to 0.31W/m2K.

I know that we are only taking coppers here, but as the saying goes - look after the coppers and the pounds look after themselves!

I am a firm believer in the cavity wall construction, the external wall acts as a sacrificial layer to protect the inside of the building, and avoids the all to common problem of damp penetration which you seem to get all too often with cavity fill (assuming the cavity is kept clear of unwanted material!)

Regards

ALR, I have not heard of this correction factor being used since the formula for calcaulting U value makes no mention of it.

Can you provide a reference so I can refer to it please?

With regard to cavities, a 150mm cavity would be better, then a 50mm air gap could be incorporated.

I wonder if there are structeral drwbacks to ever increasing cavity widths? IF not one could always turn all these new matchbox detached houses into long terraces for a more cozy feel in the winter.

The wider the cavity gets, the less interaction there is between the leaves for lateral loading. At 150, it's effectively two separate walls.

BS EN ISO 6946 has all the info you want, WT. Enjoy the read ;)

BRE sell a handy little gizmo that does all the calcs for you for £50 plus VAT.

If your going to fill the cavity with insulation, you will need to reduce its effectiveness to around 80% of the quoted value due to the increase in thermal bridging that will be caused by the insulation being in contact with the external wall,

How can insulation be a thermal bridge? :rolleyes:

Especially when the insulation is the most thermally efficient component of a cavity wall?

I do hope ALR is not going down the route of punted around by the multifoil insualtion band harking on about having an airspace etc.

low emsitivy surfaces ie foils have not shown any signifcant improvment to U value in any configeration when tested by BRE. The benefit of foil on kingspan etc is a vapour barrier only

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back