Which boiler and rating to choose? - thoughts please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a detatched smallish 3 bedroom house with my girlfriend, both of us work full time so only used evenings & weekends, and we need to have a new boiler fitted.
After getting several quotes I have narrowed the choice down to the Remeha Avanta 28c or the Vaillant 831 ecotec plus which will cost around £300 more.
The Remehas seem to have a good reputation here as do the Vaillants, my question is (bearing in mind I would like to get rid of my electric shower & have a good mains shower instead).
Will the Avanta 28c be more than enough for my needs?
Should I spend the extra on the Vaillant and get a slightly higher flow or spend the extra money on having the Remeha Avanta 35C for higher flow again?
My mains flow was measured at 23 ltr/min from the cold tap in the kitchen.so might not be up to supplying the bigger unit anyway?

Your thoughts greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Anyone?
My main concern is will the 28KW unit give me a decent shower (Bear in mind that I currently only have a 9.5KW electric jobbie) or do I need to upgrade to a 35KW unit?

In practice the Avanta 28 will give as much hot water as the 831.

Personally I think you are better off with the Avanta. You won't get anything more for your money with the 831, just paying for Vaillants name.

You could, with your flow rate, spend about £150 ish more and go for the Avanta 35C.

This will give more hot water than either of the other two and still save you half the Vaillant extra.

Oh, and don't forget the Avanta is smaller, quieter and has a better warranty ;)

Thanks Dave,

I have asked for the price difference to upgrade to the 35C.

I do not want to pay for something that is overkill (I am having to beg, steal & borrow to pay for it) but likewise do not feel a fool for not spending a little extra to get a much better performance.

The other suggestion that I received was to have the 28C & spend the extra ensuring that I bought a top line shower mixer valve.

Sponsored Links
If a customer has mainly showers and occasional baths, then usually a 28 is fine.

If they prefer baths to showers, or like to feel 'sand blasted' in the shower, then I recommend a more powerful model.

The bath only gets used a couple of times a year & we are even considering junking it for a nice shower cubicle instead.
The shower will only be about 18" from the boiler which may help matters?
If it turns out to be not much more to upgrade I'll go for it.
I just did not want to feel that I had skimped on the job and end up with a shower that was not much better than the old electric unit provides.
Thank you again for taking the time to provide your input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back