Boiler Suitable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting my loft converted into an additional bedroom and bathroom. This will take the property to 5 bedrooms, two bathrooms and an en-suite. :cool:

The property currently has an Ideal Istor HE325 in a cupboard on the landing providing the HW and CH.

Unfortunately the flue goes directly up into almost the centre of the loft and I have been told that the boiler will need to be replaced with a combi to put in the downstairs utility room :cry:

I assume this is the best option rather than trying to re-site the current boiler somehow to be nearer the edge of the property and direct the flue through the eves storage area?

If so I would appreciate advice on specifying a combi boiler (assuming that there is a sufficiently capable model?) to the loft conversion company as they will be supplying and fitting.

The ones I have in mind are:

Worcester-Bosch Greenstar 42CDI
Vaillant ecoTEC plus 837
Remeha Avanta 39C
Atag Q38C

Is there anything anyone can help suggest or ensure I get the conversion people to do?

Sponsored Links
If the loft conversion company you are employing to do the job are to be fitting/moving any boiler LEGALLY, they will have a Registered Gas Installer working for them who will know which boiler/system/solution is best. Insist that any gas-related work is carried out but an RGI or, if not, insist on getting your own in.

Also, with that amount of bed/bathrooms in your property, an unvented cylinder/system boiler system may be best. Again, an RGI will be able to survey and advise the best option for your needs.

in addition to an un-vented storage tank to supply your hot water,
you may want to split your heating in to two or even three separate zones,
a day zone for the living areas, a night zone for the bedrooms,
and a zone for the spare guest room.
This allows you to install separate programmable thermostats for each zone
allowing you to control each zone as and when required,
instead of running the whole heating all the time.

Be very careful with the Loft Conversion company. I don't want to pre-judge them, but read through the guy's post in the DIY disasters section of the forum and you'll appreciate where I'm coming from.

I would strongly recommend NOT getting a combi for a property with any more than 1 bath. I know they have come on leaps and bounds over the last couple of years, but I still wouldn't spec one unless there was no money in the job for a storage system. Which brings me back to the Conversion company who often sub-contract the plumbing/electrical work to the cheapest bidder so they can maximise their profit.

Spending a little more money on your system will ensure that you have the most efficient and reliable system possible.

Sponsored Links
The boiler has an unvented cylinder intergrated. Re-positioning it is possible, but the flue postion and routing, along with D2 pipework for the unvented cylinder need to be considered carefully.

I have no idea on the reliability or performance of these appliances so couldn't recommend a replacement or not, but this would obviously be the most cost effective solution if the flue could not be re-routed in it's current position.

Sam

Be very careful with the Loft Conversion company. I don't want to pre-judge them, but read through the guy's post in the DIY disasters section of the forum and you'll appreciate where I'm coming from.

As thats the first post in that name I dont see how you are knowing about other posts which can only be under a different name?

I agree that all boiler/heating work should be done directly between the householder and the engineer.

Going through builders usually gets a poor quality installer as most of us will not work for builders. Very often they are not even registered.

Tony

Sounds like a good idea but what sort of impact would this have on the cost of the intallation? I am currently being quoted £2,200 +VAT to install two new radiators and supply & install the new combi boiler.

Sounds like a good idea but what sort of impact would this have on the cost of the intallation? I am currently being quoted £2,200 +VAT to install two new radiators and supply & install the new combi boiler.

It would definitely increase the overall cost, but as said you will end up with a system much more suitable to the needs of your property

You said that in your first posting on this thread.

However the OP started this thread as his first post.

So if he has posted elsewhere then wouldn't be under a different name?

Tony

You said that in your first posting on this thread.

However the OP started this thread as his first post.

So if he has posted elsewhere then wouldn't be under a different name?

Tony

:LOL: I meant read as in advising the OP to go and read marsaday's post in the DIY Disasters section not that I'd read a post and thought it was the OP!

Right, not this guy but another guy!

Last week I met a customer who had an extension built and he was happy with the way the builder had done the job!

First time I can remember that.

Tony

:eek:

Like you said with things like this, I would be wary of using a builder's subbies.

The subbies are usually OK, but get screwed down on price so much they have to put in a system that might not be 100% suitable for the client.

If you've got even a tad of organisational ability, project managing something like a loft conversion is well within the capabilities of most people.

The subbies are not paid well by the builder so they cut corners particularly on cleaning and water treatment.

A friend is doing heating system changes in council blocks as a sub to a sub to a main contractor very cheaply as they are short of work. No one has asked for ANY water treatment or even any inhibitor to be added!

With such a long chain of subbing such important requirements are lost and all they hand over is a new boiler/pipes/rads installation which has been fitted and made to work but thats all!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back