Which Boiler??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend a quality boiler brand as we are extending our home and require extra rads and a new boiler--the current baxi beastie isn't up to the job.

A plumber mate has offered to 'do us a Ferroli 30' for trade, but i was thinking more like a Broag-Remeha Avanta Plus 35c.

Which boiler is the best out there, in your opinion?

Which are the brands to avoid?

Any advice is most welcome.

Sponsored Links
sorry..on a more serious note. Avoid Ideal and Keston. Everything else should be fine ;)

Avoid anything Ideal :rolleyes:

Broag is a good mid range boiler.

Vaillant is better quality, but will cost a bit more.

ATAG is tops but will cost a bit more than a Vaillant.

The best mass produced boiler on the market at present, IMHO, is the Vaillant.

Have a look at the Ecotec Plus 831 or 837.

What ever boiler you decide on make sure it is fitted to a flushed and clean system and commissioned properly ;)

Sponsored Links
Are there any other 'good' boiler makes, as i keep on reading very mixed veiws on vailants.
Appppologies for the slow typing...we plan on having it fitted by the proper gadjie, he has offered to get us a good one via his trade account....i just don't know what a good un looks like, (all white boxes to me, doh).

what anyone tells you is only ever going t be a matter of opinion. but seeing as you are fishing for names I would personally recommend and regularly install glowworm ultracoms. but thats one mans opinion. I would agree completely with Daves posting in regards to vaillants and atag.

Vaillant are over priced, over engineered, over complicated, and over modified and thus unrelliable in my opinion. Cheap components selling at a premium price.

ATAG are good top spec boilers, Viessman are good mid range and Baxi are a cheap, better made vaillant (with a decent pump!) and are about the best in the cheaper end catagory.

All opinoin of course!

Can anyone recommend a quality boiler brand as we are extending our home and require extra rads and a new boiler--the current baxi beastie isn't up to the job.

A plumber mate has offered to 'do us a Ferroli 30' for trade, but i was thinking more like a Broag-Remeha Avanta Plus 35c.

Which boiler is the best out there, in your opinion?

Stick with the Broag.

Which are the brands to avoid?

Cheap boilers and W-Bosch which are outdated. Get one with weather compensation and OpenTherm control.

weather comp is a load of *******s, cant beat room stat and trvs, people who dont understand them shouldnt get them fitted

Its interesting psychology how so many people promote their "favourite" brands as if there was a massive difference between them.

The reality is that all boilers will do a good job if they are installed on a totally clean system.

Another piece of reality is that few installers really properly clean a system with the best chemicals. That takes hours with a power flushing pump and running all over the house and consumes £30-£40 of chemicals.

Very few installers give a proper after sales service either. Most will say when it fails six months later, f... you, just call the manufacturer yourself.

ALL boilers can break down sometimes. There can be a lot of difference between how quickly and efficiently the manufacturers deal with warranty problems. Tonight I met someone whose boiler was out of service for two weeks because the service agent could not identify the fault. He was also swearing in front of the customer's children!

Tony

Vaillant are over priced, over engineered, over complicated, and over modified and thus unrelliable in my opinion. Cheap components selling at a premium price.

ATAG are good top spec boilers, Viessman are good mid range and Baxi are a cheap, better made vaillant (with a decent pump!) and are about the best in the cheaper end catagory.

All opinoin of course!

I don't agree that Viessman are any better than most and Baxi's quality is debatable. ATAG have a good reputation but I am no expert on them. The broag-remeha is good value but the quality is no better than average and certainly not better than the Vaillants.

I would say though that you should avoid the Ideal Icos/isar etc like the bubonic plague!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back