which boiler ?

alansj said:
no i dont expect them to break the law but i do expect a discount for cash. thats unless paying cash has now become illegal.
I don't believe that it's possible to be so pathetically naive.

Paying cash into the bank now attracts more bank charges than any other method, so if you gave me cash I'd consider charging you more not less :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I have just completed an installation of a 418 today as well. Yes the piece of string is there to stop the panel from dropping too far. I also have complained about the fact that the 400 series was relaunched as a 'new' boiler, but apart from the case front and new circuit board none of the other issues I had complained about have been addressed. The fact that they have completely omitted an on/off switch on the boiler amazes me :eek:

Another problem I reported back to Vaillant today is that the Ecolevel condensating pumps flexible black connecting tube is not compatible with any form of connection on the 400 series condensing drain as this is a different size to the drains on the 600 & 800 series :rolleyes:

At least though it is still better than the Glow Worm HXi equivalent. They are still shipping the old Ecomax Pro under this name with very, very limited diagnostics and setiings ability on it.

As much as I rant on about Vaillant, the 400 series is a let down, but as yet no faults.

I am looking forward to the meeting being arranged with my Vaillant sales managers and the group service engineer muppets along with the high up service managers to thrash out our differences. Hopefully it will be in the next month.

Softus said:
alansj said:
no i dont expect them to break the law but i do expect a discount for cash. thats unless paying cash has now become illegal.
I don't believe that it's possible to be so pathetically naive.

Paying cash into the bank now attracts more bank charges than any other method, so if you gave me cash I'd consider charging you more not less :rolleyes:

Who says you have to go the bank with the dosh ?.
I accept payment in cash no probs and the tax man knows jack **** about it. You treat the tax man like a mushroom. (ie , in the dark and feed him on shyte)

Sponsored Links
i take it from all this that im getting a good deal then which was all i needed to know before most of you went off on one about the words cash and discount being mentioned.

but while we crossed the subject of vat and the taxman are you all telling me that some of you have never.
Put a fuel receipt in that you shouldnt have?
what about your clubcard point or equivalent ? you have to declare those to.
and what about the incentives that some manufacturers offer you to sell there boilers? i know of one which i wont mention that give you a free boiler once you have done 10/15 so does that mean that you have 1 lucky customer who gets a free boiler? i doubt that. other manufacturers offer free ipods etc etc.

all i asked for was a bit of guidance i didnt expect to get a grilling over the cash/discount thing. it might be a good idea to start a thread titled.
(things you you never say to a plumber) ;)

alansj said:
i take it from all this that im getting a good deal then which was all i needed to know before most of you went off on one about the words cash and discount being mentioned.
It wasn't the mention that provoked a response, it was the 'nudge nudge wink wink' nature of your sentiment and the sheer gall of expecting a discount from someone on the assumption that they're a criminal.

but while we crossed the subject of vat and the taxman are you all telling me that some of you have never.
Put a fuel receipt in that you shouldnt have?
That's something I did a long time ago, during employment, but as a self-employed person it's something I've never done.

what about your clubcard point or equivalent ? you have to declare those to.
Personally, I rely on my accountant to alert me about things I should declare, unless I know about them already. In my particular case fuel isn't a business expense. However, I can say that all cash received, including tips, is declared as business income. The taxman is welcome to knock on my door at any point and examine anything he wants (with the exception of my genitalia).

and what about the incentives that some manufacturers offer you to sell there boilers? i know of one which i wont mention that give you a free boiler once you have done 10/15 so does that mean that you have 1 lucky customer who gets a free boiler?
Don't be ridiculous. That's no different to a quantity discount, and those are part of the business profit, unless a saving is passed on to the customer.

i doubt that. other manufacturers offer free ipods etc etc.
So what? Any gift received in that way becomes a business asset.

all i asked for was a bit of guidance
No. You didn't. You made some thoughtlessly insulting remarks that challenged the honesty of the very people you were consulting.

i didnt expect to get a grilling over the cash/discount thing.

You seem to have very tenuous grasp of (a) how to run a business and (b)what the law is.

In my experience, people who are cynical and untrusting are themselves untrustworthy. Since you expect plumbers to be habitual tax-dodgers, I can't help but wonder if it's you who's the criminal here.

Well then this has opened a can of worms hasnt it. but can i please remind you that i didnt mention cash or expected discount untill the 3rd page at which point another member had already mentioned about not paying vat? people in glass houses springs to mind. like i said you pay the you dont pay the vat its not me it comes back on. if you aint gonna pay the vat then yes i would like a discount but if you dont tell me i dont know. you do the work you get paid any probs you get a call its a simple as that. cynicle? maybe untrusting ? why ? i dont think me giving you the keys to my house and me and my family going away while the work was being done is untrusting do you ? infact some people would call me stupid for doing that. Dont even go there.

point is at the end of the day i had 2 quotes asked about ebay and also if it could be done cheaper by me buying the boiler seperatly. what have i learnt? dont buy one off ebay, i seem to have been given decent prices and i wouldnt have any comebacks on the plumber if i bought the boiler myself. apart from that maybe in future we should all stick to the point at hand instead of leading off onto different matters.

so i,ll say it first.
i appoligise if any of my comments or views have offended any of you in any way shape or form. this was not the intention. Thank you for your helpful advice
. When it was given and i,ll ignore your other comments.
Alansj

alansj said:
Well then this has opened a can of worms hasnt it.
If by that you mean that you're finding out things you'd previously closed your mind to, then yes.

but can i please remind you that i didnt mention cash or expected discount untill the 3rd page at which point another member had already mentioned about not paying vat?
There's no getting away from the fact that you were the first person to intimate that a discount would be expected when a bill is paid by cash.

i,ll ignore your other comments.
You have an odd way of ignoring the comments - almost all of your last post was a response to them. :rolleyes:

come on though 99% of the great british public would ask for discount if they paid cash would they not ?.
anyway ive appologised nuff said.

alansj said:
come on though 99% of the great british public would ask for discount if they paid cash would they not ?
I don't know about anyone else, but there have been times when I've asked if a discount is offered for cash, but that's only when the alternative is to pay by credit card, and my rationale is that the credit card transaction is more expensive for the retailer. Sometimes people say yes, sometimes no, but at no time do I suggest that they do something criminal and cut me in on their saving.

More relevantly, I don't hear of many tradespeople who offer credit card payment facilities. I accept cash or cheque or Internet banking; out of all of those options cash is the most expensive to handle and attracts the most bank charges. None of my customers has ever, ever, asked me to reduce the amount that I've already invoiced in exchange for cash payment, so I suspect your 99% to be an overwhelming overestimate.

anyway ive appologised nuff said.
Yes, but it wasn't exactly an unequivocal one, was it, hmm?

I get the feeling that I could keep telling you how it is, and that you'd keep apologising and saying 'nuff said', or some such.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back