Which Building Design Would You Choose PLAN A OR PLAN B

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Live in a 1920's semi-detached character bungalow. I want to extend to the side and rear of property and convert loft. I have two designs to choose from planning permission has been approved for both. I would like to know which design you prefer.

PLAN A is to build up to boundary line, advantage to this design will allow loads more space internally ( giving a larger hall and kitchen area ) and extra parking to front of driveway, this will make prop more private from neighbours, however no access to rear of property - without going through the front door entrance.

PLAN B extend out slightly to side and leave a 4ft pathway to allow for a back door entrance at the end of path. You would not be able to get right round the property without going through the back door, as it will lead into the kitchen. Disadvantage less internal space to allow for pathway.

You decide PLAN A OR PLAN B. Be sure to ask your partner / friends for their choice too. Much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Do you you lose your detached ness by doing this?

I moved into a fully detached house about a year ago and I would hate to go back to having direct neighbors

That gap between the houses is golden, have never heard either side ever through a wall perfect

Plan B for me. Proper rear access is handy and will allow maintenance on that side. You could go less than 4'. Ours is 2' where it goes part the chimney breast which is a bit of a squeeze but not a big issue. 3' would be more than enough IMHO

Sponsored Links
Plan B

get a wheelbarrow or a minidigger through there, plus bins, paving slabs, turf, garden shed, windowcleaner's ladder, barbie, fence panels, greenhouse, w.h.y.

Absolutely B - otherwise you`ve just got a property like millions of modern " detached " + all the other reasons listed ;)

Plan B.
I would love a descent access. in my terrace or even the in laws semi Garage prevent easy access
Maby 4ft no needed but 3ft enough for mini digger and wheel barrow with no loss of knuckles lol

LOL .... you want people who won't be living there, won't be paying for it and won't be recouping the profit/loss at sale time to decide which extension you should have?

Why don't you just get a design that includes all the features you want?

Having cleared an 80ft long 5ft tall overgrown garden + trees, and bringing the waste through the house. Plan B!!!

Which multiple post would you choose?

Post A - Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:18 pm

Post B - Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:21 pm

Post C - Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:32 pm

As it stands, I would go for post A

Which multiple post would you choose?

Post A - Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:18 pm

Post B - Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:21 pm

Post C - Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:32 pm

As it stands, I would go for post A

Ok Ok, Im new to this site, give me a chance to learn rules

LOL .... you want people who won't be living there, won't be paying for it and won't be recouping the profit/loss at sale time to decide which extension you should have?

Why don't you just get a design that includes all the features you want?

Just getting public opinions no harm in that surely. At the end of the day when i come to sell prop i am interested in what potential buyers would go for and not just over personalising the property. It is obvious from your comments neither design would work for you, so no prob just don't bother answering my post.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back