Which Cable???? Ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to run a spur off a ring main, but am unsure of whihc cable to add to the JB. There are two cables coming from the exsiting socket. How do i know which cable to use and does it matter anyway?
Also do i have to cut the exisiting cables or can i strip the wire and, bend them in half and attached them to the terminals in the junction box?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
The two cables will form part of a ring or radial circuit, but before making assumptions you need to make sure that the circuit is indeed one of the above and not something else. It could, for example, be that the previous owner has installed two new sockets as a radial spurred off the ring, not allowed as this is effectively a spur off a spur. Unlikely, but possible.

Don't mess about with trying to strip just the insulation, just cut the wire, with the power off at the main isolator in the consumer unit please! It doesn't matter which one you cut.

I have just had the house re wired, so whatever the correct procedure is now, that is what i have.

Thanks for the advise.

Sponsored Links
Does it matter what type of cable i use?
Always, the cable must able to carry the load. And the cable from the supply socket to the spur cannot be smaller than the size of the original cable.

As electronicsuk said you must verify whether the circuit is a ring or radial and make sure that this is not already a spur.

can you explain the configuration you talking about, because I do not see where you are going to use the JB...

Is this junction box going to remain accesible?

Tucked away under a floor is not accessible.

If you have just had your house rewired, you really don't want to be spoiling the nice new wiring with junction boxes.

I have just had the house re wired,
By whom?

Did they certify it, and notify it?

so whatever the correct procedure is now, that is what i have.
Probably, but you wouldn't want to have a fire because you just assumed and didn't check.

If you know how ring finals are wired, and own and know how to use a multimeter you can easily check that what you've got is a socket on a ring.

If you don't know, or don't have, then please acquire both knowledge & tools before doing this...

I know i dont want to mess up the nice new wiring with JB's but i require another double socket in the kitchen.

There is two cables coming out from a double socket on the ring main, i want to add a new double socket.

I therefore believe i can cut one of the wires (either one) add an accessible JB, run a new cable out of the JB to the new double socket.

Sounds simple to me!!!!!!

Yes it does sound simple doesn't it.

I assumed it would be easy to drive. I was suprised how much I needed to learn from a driving instructor before I was safe to drive without expert input.

If the jb is permanently accessible then you can cut one of the ring legs and add a spur (using 2.5mm twin and earth cable) using the jb. If it's possible, you're better off taking the spur directly from the socket so that there are three cables in the socket. Remember that spurs are only designed for low loads. If you intend to run heavy appliances such as washing machines, kettles etc from the new socket, then don't run a spur. Instead you'll need to extend the ring.

Since the socket is going in the kitchen, you really need to get an electrician to do it for you.

Since the socket is going in the kitchen, you really need to get an electrician to do it for you.
Well you don't have to, but as it's notifiable then if you do want to obey the law then that would undoubtedly be cheaper...

But, diyyournot, +1 to what sparkyspike said - if you're going to add a spur, why not spur from a socket rather than cut & join the cable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back