Which central heating system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again.....An unvented cylinder will NOT give a more powerful shower than a combi - both are mains pressure.

You need to understand pressure an flow.

Sponsored Links
You seem to think one recommends products because of 'margin'.

Speaking personally, but assuming that most here are the same, our 'margin' is just a percentage, which is fixed. Whether we fit Boiler A or B, or cylinder x or y, the margin percentage is the same.

So I don't recommend a Vaillant over a Worcester (or an Ethos, as a notional example) because of margin, because there is nothing in it. We just make our best endeavours to suggest the right product for the job.

And that isn't always a Broag......

which worcester do you have now?
was it w-b that did the repair 3 months ago?
I currently have a Worcester 240, Not sure of the Kw. Yes WB came out 3 times 3 in a week and only had it working on the third visit.

On an unvented system how long would a shower last with a 250 litre cylinder? As i have 30-45 min showers.

My mate did say he would put in a 22mm pipe from the mains to the boiler.

ok its good that he's doing that, regardless of system, but still check the mains pressure.

as for 3 visits to fix, tbh although its a pain it does happen. i went to a boiler yesterday that had had fan aps and pcb replaced by seperate enginners not working for bg until customer called me in. then i managed for find a short circuit cut out 3 inches of wire and sort the fault. so 4 visits to sort it. at bg we get our jobs flagged if it takes us more than 3 to complete the breakdown and that ususally ends up witht question being asked about the eng. not blaming him but checking if he needs more help. on you experience unless the wb guysand see if did something completely stupid (which i'd be surprised about) i wouldnt write them off. everyone has bad days and not every fault is totally straight forward. the plan you are going for (uv cylinder and boiler ) whilst not a bad plan is being influenced by what id consider a failry average customer experience. id just say consider the cost difference in your plans and ask yourself if its really worth it.

remember i have nothing to gain from my advice, just trying to save you money and hassle in the longterm. :D

Sponsored Links
I don't want to go into the WB episode but it was 3 different engineers to fix the same problem and the first one did make a big mistake.

What size combi would you recommmend?

Once again.....An unvented cylinder will NOT give a more powerful shower than a combi - both are mains pressure.

We do. Neither defines "power". All you keep wittering on about is mains pressure.
An Electric Shower is mains pressure. Are you going to say it's the same power, therefore?
That would be silly.

rusty , that would be down to your installer. personally i got the biggest wb combi and fitted a 22 cold mains from the road right up to the backplate of the boiler. i just used the wb site to tell me what size i needed :oops: :LOL: .

its a greenstar 35 cd1 which i believ has been superceded to a 37cdi. that coupled with my aqualisa quartz shower properly hurts on massage setting and i dont really notcie when any other taps or appliances are on.:cool: .

check wb website, they used to have a boiler ready reckoner, based on bedroom and bathrooms of prems.

which worcester do you have now?
was it w-b that did the repair 3 months ago?
I currently have a Worcester 240, Not sure of the Kw. Yes WB came out 3 times 3 in a week and only had it working on the third visit.

On an unvented system how long would a shower last with a 250 litre cylinder? As i have 30-45 min showers.

My mate did say he would put in a 22mm pipe from the mains to the boiler.

45min showers? You need instant hot water not stored.

rusty , that would be down to your installer. personally i got the biggest wb combi and fitted a 22 cold mains from the road right up to the backplate of the boiler. i just used the wb site to tell me what size i needed :oops: :LOL: .

its a greenstar 35 cd1 which i believ has been superceded to a 37cdi.

Now 42 kW. Avoid W-B they are 5 years behind others.

We do. Neither defines "power". All you keep wittering on about is mains pressure.

Which is power compared to a dribble from a tank.

An Electric Shower is mains pressure. Are you going to say it's the same power, therefore?
That would be silly.

The same pressure. Flow is another matter. Get it?

I don't want to go into the WB episode but it was 3 different engineers to fix the same problem and the first one did make a big mistake.

What size combi would you recommmend?

Broag Avantaplus 39C combi. Use the outside weather compensation. The cheapest and best option. You will not be disappointed.

Of course you can go for a Ethos 54C combi with a hell of a flowrate.

How can you say he will not be disappointed?

You have never fitted one; you have never seen one in a real house, working.

Would a more reasonable and balanced piece of advice be worded thus;

'I used to be in the industry years ago and although I have no influence or involvement, I like to keep up to date. I have seen the brochures for these new Broag boilers and on the face of it, they look very good value for money'.

Instead, you disingeniously imply that your familiarity is based upon more than a quick read of a manufacturer brochure in the privacy of your bathroom.

That is misleading and unfair to those who come here for advice. They don't know that in two months time you will be banging on about another boiler, as if it were the second coming.

How can you say he will not be disappointed?

Another unconstructive abusive post

I have had a few fitted. Impressed.

< snip personal drivel, from someone who doesn't know what a bender is >

You don't have a job, you are a man without portfolio.

You post on this site all through the week in working hours.

I don't believe you fit any boilers at all. And I doubt you have ever used a bender, other than in a park at midnight.

Give me evidence to the contrary.

well if you dont fit and are out of theindustry and have had a few fitted, i cncloude they have been fitted in your house and are crap and need replacing .

seriously... what qualifications do you have to be giving this advice?

ive asked you olitelyseveral times yet all i get in return are sarcastic irrelevant comments back. you really need to quantify yourself, if you know what you are talking about then fine, but this is other peoples money we're dealing with :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back