Which chemical paint stripper ?

I bought a big tin from B&Q. I'd have bought ten if I'd known.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again both for your replies, I have looked at both products and they look good, unless the formula has changed like Nitromors has :confused:

Also, someone near me has 25kg bags of Sodium Hydroxide which I am tempted to get, at £26 a bag it would work out at a fraction of the price Kling Stip or Peel Away, although I've never used it as a paint stripper :unsure: .

Back to Google :D

you can still buy methylene chloride based strippers - google MD Finney or Rest Express amongst others. Although this product strips finishes effectively its not safe to use without professional safety equipment and thats why its banned. In a home enviroment you're better off using a safe stripper - I've used Biostrip (get it on Ebay) in the past and it works well under the circumstances but you have to leave it on a long time (overnight type of thing) to get anywhere. I suspect most people make the mistake of not leaving on long enough and then label the product as crap....

Be very careful with caustic soda (sodium hydroxide). Flick it in your eye and you'll be lucky to get away without permanent eye damage.

If you touch it, it feels soft and soapy. That's because it is dissolving your skin. That is why I chose to buy a ready mixed stripper for removing areas of paint from plaster. The maker has already diluted it down into a form that is 'safer' i.e. not safe, but not so nasty.

Not so nasty, yet perhaps very angry. So you really dont want to be touching that either do you!!

Dec

Sponsored Links
Not so nasty, yet perhaps very angry. So you really dont want to be touching that either do you!!

Dec

No you don't. It does burn, but more slowly, and because it is thick and sticky, it is less likely to splash onto eyes. I think Peel Away is basically the same stuff, but easier to apply from what I hear. Kling Strip is very thick and goopy, and not that easy to put on.

Come on and give us a link to your website like you did last time. You know you want to.

WalksWithTurkeys said:
If you touch it, it feels soft and soapy. That's because it is dissolving your skin.

The first thing it does is react with the natural oils on your skin to make soap. That's how soap is made. :cool: :cool: :cool: Example: oleic acid + sodium hydroxide = sodium oleate (soap) + water. Weaker alkalis like washing soda will also do this. It's probable that the first soap was made accidently when animal fat mixed with the potassium carbonate in wood ash. :eek: :eek: :eek:

But of course a strong alkali like sodium hydroxide doesn't stop at the surface oils. It will eat its way down through your skin. :!: :!: :!:

So...I'm here wondering if it is worth going on a 5 mile trip to buy Nitromors...and I'm guessing it isn't...this is why the B&Q stripper I just bought is rubbish and I am supposed to leave it on for 30mins?

Previous owner painted the entiire house woodwork badly with very dark fake wood paint....tried to paint over it takes several coats and in places hasn't adhered properly ...so it flakes off with the new paint - also any wee chips look dreadful...best method (apart from replacing!) is strip it off -back to the bare wood - cos there is a lovely 1970s yellow/orange layer too! I have nearly got rid of it all now...
I had it down to a fine art - heat gun to take the worst off and then rub down with nitromors and wire wool/metal kitchen scourer to get the odd bits/top of the skirting.

Don't tell me I haven't left it on long enough...these are boards - prestripped with the heat gun - 2 layers or less and it has been on for 45 mins now and it still not all coming off ...
As for healthier - mmmm - have door etc open but surely breathing this stufff in for hours rather than nitromors for 15 mins has got to be worse for me! And I was doing this straight after my kids went to school - so the fumes had gone by the time they got home ....
Grrrrrrrrr.....
Sorry rant over....

you can strip oil based paint with a steam stripper. Haven't tried it myself but I have seen it done. Often used by sash window restorers, initially to soften the putty but also works on the paint.

Thanks for that - never heard of it before - just checked it out on you tube ...quite slow going but seems like it works a treat....
I have a wallpaper stripper with a small head attachment so I might try it out - seems like it would work best before the heat gun....

Also I read here about caustic soda/sodium hydroxide - I would also stress the need for caution
I got a caustic soda burn when I was working in a kitchen. Got some on my arm, didn't notice it then noticed it was a bit itchy - then ended up with a nasty burn...as bad as touching the side of the oven...
Also from working in a lab -be aware that it will heat up as you dissolve it in water - the stronger you make it the hotter it gets - it can make a plastic tub too hot to hold...
And be really really careful with your eyes - full goggles - even a splash of relatively dilute solutions can cause blindness.
(Also with anything chemical and goggles/safety glasses - make sure you hands are clean before removing/adjusting them - I found this out with concn sulphuric acid - all kitted up before using and glasses slid down my nose - automatically I pushed them back up ...luckily I reacted quickly so not too bad a burn on my nose!

I used it before and for what I wanted it for it was as good as Nitromors...and quite a bit cheaper...

From this thread thinking Nitromors will now be equally rubbish...
:cry:

I used it before and for what I wanted it for it was as good as Nitromors...and quite a bit cheaper...

From this thread thinking Nitromors will now be equally rubbish...
:cry:

Sorry, guess I misunderstood your earlier post. Some friends stockpiled some stripper at the end of last year, due to it being removed due to EU regs. Not sure which one. But we cannot assume things stay the same, look at paints, and the VOC regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back