which circulation pump is best ? opinions please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Different makes of pump ie. Grundfos,CP,DAB,Wilo,Clarke, etc, all have similar performance but wildly different prices. Do you get what you pay for or are the cheaper pumps as good when it comes to reliability, efficiency,noise (or lack of), or any other point of view ? Just asking out of curiosity as I've just replaced a couple of old pumps,like for like ,with new. One was my own, both Grundfos. Any useful comments appreciated , thanks.

Sponsored Links
outinthestix said:
Different makes of pump ie. Grundfos,CP,DAB,Wilo,Clarke, etc, all have similar performance but wildly different prices. Do you get what you pay for or are the cheaper pumps as good when it comes to reliability, efficiency,noise (or lack of), or any other point of view ? Just asking out of curiosity as I've just replaced a couple of old pumps,like for like ,with new. One was my own, both Grundfos. Any useful comments appreciated , thanks.

personally think you get what you pay for but also depends on how clean systems are etc... I normally go for grundfos or myson's but if changing a head I use ideal universal heads !!

above post staggers me how much crap people come out with, Grunfos best yes but myson are rubbish, Ideal head is a myson with an ideal badge

It's not really an opinion but more of a fact, Grundfos are by far the most superior domestic circulation pumps.

Sponsored Links
lor said:
above post staggers me how much rubbish people come out with, Grunfos best yes but myson are rubbish, Ideal head is a myson with an ideal badge

mysons are decent pumps in my opinion and are you disagreeing that the cleanlieness of the system doesnt matter ??

agree grundfoss are best but myson / ideals have always had a good life span when I put them in a clean system... not exacty a pish pump and probably one of the most common used ....

"It's not really an opinion but more of a fact, Grundfos are by far the most superior domestic circulation pumps."

Translation "I think Gundfoss pumps are best but have no evidence to support this view. Do NOT disagree with me."

i just go by colour. recently ive taken to fitting wilo gold. the green makes a pleasant change from the red. :p

Crystal said:
"It's not really an opinion but more of a fact, Grundfos are by far the most superior domestic circulation pumps."

Translation "I think Gundfoss pumps are best but have no evidence to support this view. Do NOT disagree with me."

You can disagree with me all you like, but you will be wrong. No I have no evidence only experience plus the fact that I know no other plumber or heating engineer who would say otherwise. I can't really think of another product in this industry where there is a product so clearly better than all the competition......and I don't even work for them.

Fair comment ollski ! It's a damn simple bit of kit; don't know why they they can't all get it right.

I think the Wilo pumps are a pretty colour :)

FOR COURSE a dirty system will ruin even the best pump but a myson will pack up much sooner than a grungefloss.
evidence ;Ideal were forced to change pump manuf (im not at liberty to elaborate (lawyers)).
the breakdown rate with new pump went ballistic

The grunfoss has a hard ceramic bearing and tolerate dirty water better.

The Wilo have soft plastic bearings and do not tolerate dirty water.

The Grunfoss often burn out from electrical faults, I change about 12 burnt out Grunfoss each year but have virtually NEVER had to change a Wilo due to electrical problems.

Circulating Pumps ( was Myson/Ideal ) seem to be a good compromise for a cheap pump at half the price of the Grunfoss.

DAB are owned by Grunfoss but not interchangeable. I have seen very few in use so cannot form any opinion.

Tony

PS Lor, what make have Ideal changed to?

Agile said:
...PS Lor, what make have Ideal changed to?
From memory they went from Wilo to CP(Myson)

From my experience I see probably ten times as many Grundfos UPS 15/50 pumps as all the other makes put together (excluding OEM in system and combi boilers). I have changed several broken CP pumps under one year old, probably never a Grundfos under 5 years unless it was run dry. There aren't enough Alphas out there for me to form an opinion yet, though the one in my house has run without complaint for 3 years so far (and you can't get the Commander or the SMC any more :LOL:)

As a professional it costs me more to replace a failed pump under g'tee than the £25 extra for the Grundfos, so I pay the extra and get a quieter life.

In order of preference I'd fit Grundfos UPS15/50 first, then CP5(Myson) a poor second, then Wilo if I have to. Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back