Which consumer unit to buy

Working with the LABC is also a mine field it would seem there is no reason why you should not inspect and test yourself and the LABC inspector in theroy should come and do a quick test to satisfy himself you have valid results. He likely measures the ELI and checks if his result matches yours. But that means the LABC inspector has to be able to electrical test and when I came to use them they were not trained how to test so their only option was to farm out the work. ...

If you don't do your own testing and inspecting then it's an open cheque book. Every time a third party inspector calls he can charge on top of the LABC fees so if he finds anything wrong then that's yet another fee.
There seems to be a lot of variation (both in terms of charges and attitudes) between different LAs, and what they say about inspections/charges is often far from clear. My LABC says:
Those two notes are the only relevant ones in the document. On the face of it, they appear to be saying that the stated "inspection charge" (which is 'nil' for all electrical work other than full/partial re-wires - although goodness knows how they define a 'partial re-wire'!) covers the cost of "all site inspections up to and including the issue of a completion certificate", without any mention of any additional charges for any "farmed out" inspections. Whether that is how it actually works in practice, I have no idea!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back