Which Fixing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We have just had the downstairs loo walls done with dot n dab onto brick wall. We now need to fix the water systen which obviously needs to go through the plasterboard. We don't know whether the fixing has to go in really deep to get a fix on the brickwork or not.

Please can someone give me a link to the best fixing for this situation?

Many thanks
Georgie

Sponsored Links
Do you mean 'cistern'?
Is it close coupled to the pan or does it hang on the wall above the pan? A photo would help!

If close coupled, just silicone it to the wall.

cistern.JPG
fixing bracket for cistern.JPG

The cistern sits inside a mdf unit.

Sponsored Links
Try screw nails. They come in all sizes. Multifix are good.
You need a screwdriver to put them in. You place the end of the screwdriver in the slot and twist. When tightened up you remove the screwdriver from the slot.
Job done.

5.5mm drill bit, red rawl plug, no.4 or 5 20-30mm screw. This'll hold tight enough in the plasterboard.

Or pop down to one of the sheds and buy any of the plasterboard fixings... metal witches hats are best for speed and they'll hold that fine.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-s...tracking url&gclid=CNWtmLPQ2tACFcy77QodJzEFGA

I have just found these and ordered a couple of packs for the van, as they're new and look pretty good for hanging rads on dot and dab...

https://www.wallanka.com/

Just drill into the plasterboard till you hit the brick, an that'll tell yoou the depth you need to get past. Whichever rawl plug you're using, add this measurement to the plug depth, and wrap a bit of tape around your drill. You then put the plug in the hole, and tap it in with the screw so that it goes into the brick itself.

With 12.5mm plasterboard, and a bit of adhesive, you're not going to get a red plug very far into the bricks, so a brown plug might be better, but having said all that, the cistern isn't very heavy, so this isn't a very serious situation.

Yeah agree +1, the red plugs just into the board should do fine, just tighten them hand tight just with a screwdriver, not a battery gun. Worst case, if you're not too sure and have the space behind the board then use a couple of butterfly toggle screws in the top 2 fixings

Hi

We've got a bit further now. The instructions say 'lubricate the rubber seal before conecting to the toilet'. Lubricant not supplied, please use a suitable plumbers grease.

I've had a look on-line screwfix but can't see any product. Can anyone give me a link or product name?

Many thanks
Georgie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back