Which fixings for securing to travertine?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok

More help needed from you experienced tilers/ bathroom fitters. My stone is now up and grouted, sealing to follow in a day or two. Then I come to the fittings, which is where I am unsure. I have to fit an SBH stainless towel rad, like this http://www.designer-radiators.com/sbh-maxicurve.htm, which comes with rawplugs.

The travertine is 12mm thick, attached with Dunlop bagged adhesive onto 20mm Wedi board (dense expanded foam backer board). I marked the position of the rad mounts and then ensured that the 'dot and dabs' co-incided with the mounts when fixing the Wedi board to the block walls. So I now have travertine stone, on Wedi board, with solid adhesive to block wall. Depth from tile surface to block wall is approximately 40mm. My question is, will rawplug type fixings be any good into this? Obviously I am nervous about drilling my beautiful stone finish and then finding the fixings pulling out!

What about items such as shower sponge baskets? I have heard that SnapToggles http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat...403AOUCSTHZPCFFI?cId=101765&ts=03199&id=69682 are strong if into a cavity, but what about into the above wall description?

Your advice is appreciated.

PP

Sponsored Links
You need to get a fixing into the blockwork for heavy items like the rad, will probably have to source longer fixings as the ones supplied are not likely to be long enough. What size are the supplied fixings, usually 6mm coach screws and S10 type plugs.

Jason

Jason

The rad fixings are just stainless screws with rawlplug type fixings which certainly won't reach into the block wall. What would you suggest? I am guessing the trouble will be to get a fixing with a small stainless head screw that will be long enough?

PP

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back