Will my wall be strong enough?!

sealing ....
just the fronts/ edges.......NOT the back lol..lol

See, told you I was glad I found this site! The Mods should be happy as I have just saved them some bandwidth by not having to put a new topic on in a few weeks time entitled 'Why won't my travertine wall tiles stay stuck to my wall'! :LOL:

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Just received an email back from Wedi UK stating that their 20mm tilebacker board, when mounted using dot and dab and Wedi fixings with 8 fixings per sq.m., can support 42kg/ sq.m.....phew!

OK. Moving to the next stage now. Just been into Topps to get advice on adhesive/grout. I need to do the following;

1. Stick down the preformed shower base to well supported and screwed down WPB ply floor.

2. Stick 6mm Marmox insulation boards to the same floor outwith the shower base.

3. Put down underfloor heating and stick the Travertine Floor Tiles to the Marmox boards.

4. Tile the walls.

5. Grout wall and floor.

Topps recommended Bal Fastflex for 1, 2 and 3 above and Bal Rapidset Flexible for 4. For point 5 they recommend Bal Superflex Limestone grout. I am amazed at the cost! £331.92!!

The floor is 3.15 sqm, the walls 18sqm.

The problem is that the Fastflex comes in 7.5kg bags and I need one grey and one white, plus 2 x 5ltrs additives.

Looking at the datasheets, wouldn't the Rapidset Flexible be ok for using to stick the Marmox boards to the floor as well as floor and wall tiling? The only difference I can see is an 'anti-fracture underlay' property in the Fastflex. Do I really need this quality or would the Rapidset Flexible be ok as I am assuming the Fastflex is what is putting the price up so high (the quote doesn't break down the individual product prices).

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi - Just my 2p worth. Mapei produce silicone sealant in 26 different colours. My Travertine took 4 coats of sealer to get a good 'roll-off' finish.
Regards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back