which is best, wooden or concrete post?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Which is best? wooden or concrete post? I'm looking to install 6 foots high panel fences about 78 foots long.

Shall i use a gravel board? concrete?

Any advice would be great.

Dan.

Sponsored Links
a 2.7 metre concrete post with a 6" concrete gravel board and a 1.8 metre panel will allow you to put 75cm of the post into the hole - much less likely to move than a mere 60cm.

concrete will outlast a decent post, if using wood, then 100mm square posts are the
way to go..........

the down side of concrete is they are quite heavy and not pretty like a nice bit of timber.

Go with concrete posts, they cost little more than a wooden post and once in place will last a lifetime. I would tend to use gravel boards as they help protect the base of the fence panels.

Dig the hole for your first post and set the post in position. Dig the hole for your next post, and place the post in the hole but dont set it in concrete yet. Put the gravel board in position against the 1st post and level it horizontally, then align the 2nd post and concrete in position. Check both post with your level and adjust if necessary. Check that the width at the top of the post is 72.5 inches (from slot to slot), as you will need the extra half inch to ensure the fence panels are not too tight in the slots

As mentioned, go for concrete posts, & 6" concrete gravel boards.

If you want to add a trellis to the top simply sink the gravel boards into the ground to allow for the height of the trellis (I have a 4" trellis so sunk the gravel boards 4" into the ground leaving 2" above ground to protect the panels) - sinking the gravel boards also help prevent weeds & roots coming in from next-doors garden

As mentioned start with 1 post perfectly level, square and plumb, then install a gravel board and lean the 2nd post into it, now the real timesaver, cut a piece of timber 6' +1/4" long and 2 pieces 6" long, screw the short bits to the long bit with a 3" overlap, then simply place this at the top of the posts to get the correct clearance for the panel, if the 1st post is truly correct then the 2nd post must be as well, stand at the end of the 1st post and eye up between them to make sure they are in-line with each other & the boundary, use a level to correct any lean and add concrete to the 2nd post hole, while the concrete sets dig the 3rd hole and repeat moving the timber batten as you go between posts (if you are quick at digging holes make 2 or 3 identical battens (I have VERY HARD chalk here so 1 batten was enough for me :( ))

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the advice.

Have finished my fencing. Used concrete post and concrete gravel board.

Look very nice. :D

Dan.

Sounds like you have done a good job Danny. It will last you many, many trouble free years. Well done!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back