Which is the best martial art to learn?

As a martial artist I started off with judo as a kid and progressed from there to kickboxing and then onto KFM. I would say judo or ju jitsu are good starting points as they have alot of grappling which if you think about it is mostly the sort of fighting most kids get into, where they usually wrestle for a bit then end up roling round on the floor. So they take a fairly natural instinct and channel it in a stuctured way which then leads into the whole self control and confidence part which I'm assuming is the part your more interested in. As we all know if you carry yourself in a certain way that tends to reduce the chances of bullying ect.

Sponsored Links
Why not try mixed martial arts? It's everything combined. I started off doing Karate, then moved on to kickboxing, But since I first saw the UFC in 1994 (hence my user name, Google it if you don't know ;) ) I started adding jiu jitsu. Now that the UFC has become so popular, MMA gyms are everywhere.

Joe - Teaching your kids martial arts is a way to keep them fit, teach them how to defend themselves and it also teaches them discipline. Why do you think they teach boxing in the army?

Don't start him off about the army LD - it's full of murdering psychopaths, donchano. From council houses, naturally.

Don't start him off about the army LD - it's full of murdering psychopaths, donchano. From council houses, naturally.

Ah, right. Well being new here, I knew that he was a bit weird, just didn't know to what extent. ;)

Sponsored Links
Whatever extent you think, I can guarantee you won't have gone far enough :LOL:

Ask him his thoughts on immigration, peak oil, the economy, Roma gypsies and ****** and structural engineers' fees. Oh and if you need any plastering advice, he's yer man :)

Oh God no please!!! Don't get him started.

Me and my brother started off with judo when we were kids and neither of the two of us instigated fights or anything.

Although I did Tae Kwondo, I really didn't like it - though that could have been down to the teachers. I'd much rather have done kickboxing but it's all incidental now cos I'm too unfit!!!

There have been times in day to day life where knowlege of a martial art comes in handy - a patient tried to attack me one day and I blocked his arm without hurting him or him hurting me (I'd have been in deep poo if I'd hurt him in the process of trying to protect myself).

Ask him his thoughts on immigration, peak oil, the economy, Roma gypsies and ****** and structural engineers' fees. Oh and if you need any plastering advice, he's yer man :)

Erm...I don't think I'll bother. :D

I think you're on the right track with Ju-Jitsu - I'd also consider Aikido as a practical form of self defence.

Many martial arts do not become useful for self defence until you reach a certain standard - Aikido and Ju Jitsu I would say are exceptions due to use of pressure points and joint manipulation even a relative newcomer can gain benefit.

Judo is the sport side of Ju Jitsu. It was thought that Ju Jitsu was too deadly to use as a competetive sport, so all the nasty bits were taken out and it became judo. Though now it has become competetive, with a lot of MMA cage fighters training in ju jitsu.

I have trained in judo, aikido, ju-jitsu and karate and they all have their good points. They also have their weak points, especially in a self defense situation. In my opinion in a confrontation a knowledge of karate would be best. The only contact with an aggressor is a foot or fist in his face.

As for karate being nothing but dance, that is so wrong. You have seen the katas and think that's it. You have no comprehension of what the katas are for, there are plenty of karate students who don't understand them. Karate is a very strong martial art, the body has to be conditioned more than any of the other three. You can only go through this if you have a very strong spirit that's why so many never make it to black belt. I have two students, aged 13 and 14 going for their black belts in a few weeks, they get hit with bare knuckles. Outside the dojo, we'd be arrested for the way they get 'beaten'. But out on the street they are more prepared than the majority of kids, a punch of a thuggie is not such a problem when you condition yourself to pain.

I teach my students karate and ju jitsu, and in my opinion the best way for kids is to start with karate for a few years to understand the dynamics of kicks and strikes, then start ju jitsu when they are more able to understand the complexities of the art. Also for kids, the repetative way of being taught karate is better and easier than the flexible system in ju jitsu.

Every thug/stand-over-man/bouncer I have ever met has been a boxer. We get more trouble from the local boxing club than any other club (and that includes the murder of a guy at a bus stop).

I guess they don't teach discipline in boxer training?

How about some pictures of you 'experts'? You must have thousands of combat piccies. (they won't) :rolleyes:

All a bunch of dreamers.

Sponsored Links
Back