Which Junction Boxes should I use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of situations I would like advice on please. Both of these "joins" are up in the loft and accessible if I am up in the loft.

1. I have 4 cables (1.5mm and 2.5mm) being married up in this junction box. Some of the cables have a single metal strand and some of the older ones have multiple strands. I am using this but am finding it a struggle to tie down 4 cables in each terminal:
https://www.toolstation.com/axiom-junction-box/p73144

2. My switch cable is not one complete cable and is currently fixed up in one of these but I am finding that the terminal screws aren't very good. One has failed already. Again, one of the cables has multi stranded cores.
https://www.toolstation.com/axiom-junction-box/p46908

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
That’s fine. What’s your recommendation for the lighting connection please? Also are Choc boxes any better?

It’s a ring mains that is also powering some lights. Not something I’ve created. It came to light when I was replacing a ceiling.

Thanks guys. Would the advice be any different if it were all single stranded cables that I was fixing-up?

am finding it a struggle to tie down 4 cables in each terminal:
Mini clamps like these can be useful to hold the first couple of conductors still while you wrestle the next one(s) into place

upload_2019-1-28_14-49-2.png

It’s a ring mains that is also powering some lights. Not something I’ve created. It came to light when I was replacing a ceiling.

You should not be powering any lights or lighting circuits directly from a 30amp ring main, so there should be no need to mix 2.5 and 1.5mm cables. If you must wire a lighting circuit from a ring main, then use a fused spur between ring main and lighting circuit - but really, should you be doing this work at all?

I have a wired a whole house not too long ago. Clearly not a pro but have some basic understanding of wiring!
I know my limits.

Thanks for the suggestion on the fused spur. 3/5 amp fuse and presumably this can be cited in the loft and is fitted in between the 1.5mm live cable? i.e. supply comes from the junction box and load goes to the light

@ban-all-sheds wagobox when I have a single core and regular junction box when I have a mix of cables (single and multi stranded)?

Thanks for the help.

... wagobox when I have a single core and regular junction box when I have a mix of cables (single and multi stranded)?
Provided you use the right types of Wago connectors, they are designed to be able to take a mix of solid and stranded conductors - something which is not really the case with traditional ('screw terminal') JBs.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back