Which Junction Boxes should I use?

'Wired a whole house' does not sit well with your need to ask such a question, I don't suppose you have heard of the need for a Part P, but....

It is not uncommon to wire a loft light from a ring main, if that is what you are attempting. The usual method is to use a switched spur unit, the switch then enables the loft light to be switched on and off.

Sponsored Links
didn't use any of these junction boxes in my project. For clarity, I have this junction box wired and working but just wanted to get recommendations on how it can be done better and also for future reference.
I think I used the Ashley's for my downlighting. Thanks

In that case it would be bad practice - why can you not feed the the bedroom light from the bedroom lighting circuit, the same circuit a the rest of the upstairs lighting is fed from? Bad practice because would think to inspect a loft space for a blown fuse, should it blow..

Joint boxes are unnecessary in modern installations since at least the early 1980's.

Sponsored Links
Thanks @Harry Bloomfield. I will search out one of the other lights that has a live feed and feed this particular light from there. I thought it would be easier to keep the arrangement as it is. As I said, not my making. I discovered it when I was replacing a ceiling.

One further question please: what if all the lights have the live feed at the switch and not the light fitting. Whats the next best thing I can do in that situation?

If there is no live feed at the light/ceiling rose, then the older joint box at each light method was used. Just find an existing joint box to tap into for a L&N, to take it to an additional lighting joint box for your light, or use the more modern method of taking the L&N direct to the ceiling rose, then wire to the switch from that.

... the more modern method of taking the L&N direct to the ceiling rose, then wire to the switch from that.
I don't know ho true it is, but I seem to be being told by some people that a increasingly common 'modern' approach is to undertake looping at the switches, rather than the roses.

Kind Regards, John

I don't know ho true it is, but I seem to be being told by some people that a increasingly common 'modern' approach is to undertake looping at the switches, rather than the roses.

Kind Regards, John

Switches are not provided with an official method to loop inside them, though it used to be common to come across a loft light wired that way. L&N up to switch in the loft, N's jointed with a connector inside the switch box, then on up to the light. It avoided the need for a joint box and looked neater - perhaps that is what they were thinking of?

that's a good point - I haven't seen provision in backbox or switchplate for looping the neutral.

a gnawed-off bit of chocblock isn't a very smart solution.

I haven't seen provision ... ...switchplate for looping the neutral.

Hager...

hager.jpg

Schneider Lisse do also...

schneider.jpg

Last edited:
Hooray!

never seen one of those.

That looks like a pretty "universal" lightswitch. Is there a proper name for that sort?

Switches are not provided with an official method to loop inside them, though it used to be common to come across a loft light wired that way. L&N up to switch in the loft, N's jointed with a connector inside the switch box, then on up to the light. It avoided the need for a joint box and looked neater - perhaps that is what they were thinking of?
I don't think so. The suggestion I've heard is that looping at switches (albeit as yet with no common provision for doing it - other than that Hager switch!) was becoming increasingly common for 'general' usage (not just loft lights), mainly because of the increasing number of electronic switch gizmos that need a neutral (and of course, if such a gizmo is installed, it's N terminal solves the 'neutral-parking' problem).

Kind Regards, John

Is there a proper name for that sort?

Don't think so, Hager say...

"Unique patented loop terminal allows neutral looping at the switch."

Schneider say(only about the Lisse range AFAIK)...

"Neutral Loop terminal on 10AX plate switches provides flexibility and future-proofed installations."

I think Hager need to drop the "unique" from their description!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back