Which kitchen units on a budget

Sponsored Links
ColJack and any others following this thread who may need Tbar handles, I checked my order with Toolstation only to find they have just about run out of the handles I wanted so couldnt supply the total amount, I cancelled that order and went looking elseware.

I found that Buller ltd have been advertising on ebid and that the 220mm long handles were considerably cheaper there than on their own web site.

ie: RE2083 £1.96 main site and just £1.05 on ebid

http://uk.ebid.net/perl/auction.cgi?mo=auction&auction=8531623&from=googlebase

They had other sizes listed too.
I contacted them by phone and they were happy to sell the 220mm handles @ £1.05 each so I have placed my order with them for those and for longer handles too. Shipping is £8.99 btw or maybe less for smaller orders.

Well at last I have a final final design :)

I had a design using shaker oak done at B&Q and with the 15% off it came to £1190 with some extra drawers, worktops and all the odds and ends that come with worktops.
I then took my quote into Homebase as they have a price matching promise.
They offered me Vermont shaker oak with soft closers on all doors, better doors and units than offered at B&Q for the same price of £1190.

So I have elected to order from Homebase.

This is a rough plan of what I will have.

View media item 15826
I bought a 4 burner gas hob in B&Q and 15% off, that also got me 10% off for the rest of the month :)
I am ordering a cheap integrated dishwasher to go in the slot (no unit needed there) just a door to fit to it.
Managed to pick up a 90cm hood new from a friend and already have the double oven.
Sink and tiles will come from Homebase next weekend, so it looks like I am sorted now.

I will try and upload some pics as it progesses.

Hi, sorry if any of this has already been said but thought I would add my few pence worth.
I have recently purchased the it range from bnq in a high cream gloss, the overall look of it were very pleased with although I have to say the quality leaves a lot to be desired.

My partners uncle bought a similar sized kitchen from wickes and the quality is far better and I dont think I would use b n q again unless they were full solid units with solid backs, most of the units are ok but when it comes to the 925mm corner base units the quality is poor.

Thee drawer situation was also shambolic, I would of thought that most people wouls either want a 500mm or 600mm drawer unit so why a standard 600mm drawer unit is not available is stupid.

We wanted the prestige drawer system which ended up costing a small fortune, but with the kids in the house eventually im sure it will be well worth it.

We had to buy a 600mm base unit, 2 300mm doors for drawer fronts and the top drawer unit we had to buy a 600mm bridging unit which I believe has a piece in it which you can possibly use for an oven.

Nearly finished now though, wish we could of afforded the cooke and lewis version but when money is tight thats why we turned to the budget version.

Im happy with it though after roughly spending 3.5k

Sponsored Links
I have the pasterers in today doing the ceiling and walls, my Homebase kitchen is due 14th Dec so hopefully I will be ready by the time its here.

Once I have it assembled and fitted I will report back on the quality.

Kitchen units have arrived but are not unpacked yet.

Room is nearly ready for fitting out, plumbing to do first then I will upload some more pics as it progresses.

View media item 17758

nice socket layout

shame you ran out of red paint ;)

Got my units through Howdens after much research. they do shaker oak ones and cheaper than online places.
I got discount as ordered through a contractor I work with - 79% off!!! ( but any joiner etc will get some discount - needs ordered through a trade contact though - they don't deal with joe-punter)
Mine were £4500 - 3750 online - got them for £2500 from howdens. Cream shaker ones.

no tile backsplash?

If you are refering to the floor, then nothing more where the units will go, seems poinless to fit then cover. But I intend to fit cut fllor tiles as skirting where it would be seen.
Once the units are in and worktop is fitted I will fit at least 1 row of wall tiles above Coljack.

Dont buy kitchen units from Homebase, unless you want to build them blind. The instruction sheets with each carcass are generic to cover a multitude of differing uses and fail in the main to help you if you ordered anything other than a basic unit with 1 shelf.

The kitchens are actually supplied by Interior Solutions who are an offshoot of Magnet. The doors are ok and made in Italy I'm told, though I bet they really get made in Halifax by Gower?
They all seem to be owned by Nobia who have offshoots throughout Europe under differing names.

The sales people in my local Homebase though polite took little notice of my feedback about instructions that dont suit individual units.
I had several items including a 3mtr worktop (supplied just covered in a single thin sheet of polythene) arrive damaged.
You have just 7 days to check what has arrived is all there and undamaged so if like me your busy on other stuff and wont get it all built in the 7 days you must open every box, inspect and repackage all before the 7 days are up or they wont entertain any claims.

I reported 4 damaged items and 3 days later I have yet to hear if and when the replacements will arrive.

The Homebase helpline actually is Interior solutions and they too were unresponsive to feedback re the bad instructions and bad packaging of worktops.

I'm glad it was only a cheap kitchen I bought as if it was costing 2k or more I would have been pretty dissapointed all round.

The carcasses are 16mm chip (not very dense) the doors are 20mm and the back panels are 3mm hardboard. I used glue on the dowels when assembling the base units as I really didnt think the sloppy fitting back was going to add much to the overall rigidity. OK so they will be ok when screwed to the wall and have a worktop on them, perhaps I expected too much.

The 2118mm double oven unit had just 1 chip cross brace in the middle which I couldnt use anyway as the oven uses the whole depth to the wall so I had to make 2 timber cross braces to fit above and below the oven space as I'm sure it would have collapsed when I tried to lift it upright otherwise.

No mention whatsoever in the instructions of anything other than 4 plastic cups and screws to hold the oven shelf in place. My oven is so heavy I wouldnt dream of mounting it on just these 4 tiny screws. I shall be putting 2 bracing strips under this shelf to add support.
I wonder if they have ever been taken to court by customers who had ovens fall through the shelf when just following the instruction supplied.

Rant over....

Well its getting there slow but sure. Quite a lot still to do, here's a couple of grainy pics I took last night.

View media item 18624
The 6" bend on the hood looks like a ships vent shaft, need to buy/borrow a 152mm core drill for that as my largest is 127mm.

View media item 18626
The black sheet on the left is a spashback for behind the hob to match the shiney black simulated granite worktop.
The oven housing has to come out yet to trim that end panel off the floor, I'm hoping a router will give a clean finish to the bottom of that and keep the front edge intact.
On top of the 3 wall units is my new worktop jig so I can attempt to cut mitres on the out of square corner.

View media item 18625
I have to make a filler for the corner where the black sheet is, I went off plan slightly by moving all the units along away from the corner so they butted up against the corners at the far ends which meant I was able to fit a drawer in the corner unit without it hitting the handle on the other drawer.
The gap is for the dishwasher, I have a matching door for that somewhere.
That bit of worktop is just for a workbench, I have a stainless sink going about there.
Hopefully end of the month should see it finished.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back