which laptop acer aspire v3-571g or an apple

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
looking to buy new camera but want new laptop to go with it, i've been looking at the above but someone mentioned an apple laptop which all photograhers use many thanks gav

Sponsored Links
Gav, you will always find apple lovers and apple haters, and it really depends. For me, I have had both over the years and I, personally, would never go back to apple. I found that they look great, the sound is great, the connection to the internet is great and by and large the Apple machines are solid. But they are also gimmicky. They are very expensive and they want you to upgrade all the time. I had a 4 year old Macbook pro and Apple no longer supported upgrades for it. Madness. When the firmware for my DVDRW was outdated, they had nothing to upgrade to. They suggested that I install windows via bootcamp and get a Dell firmware update for the DVD drive!!!! That is the truth. But even apart from that, I found that windows based machines are just easier to run, to maintain, to keep up to date, to find software for, and to be compatible with. And remember adobe do Windows versions for all their photography and imaging software.

You could find an Apple lover who may suggest the opposite to me, but I was open minded enough to try and have both. I'll never go back to Apple Mac.

Good luck

Depends what you want to do with it, imagining and video are best done with a mac, it's industry standard, but a pc has cheaper and more varied software.
I have both Mac and pc [8 years old G5 mac and still outperforming more recent pc]

Mac, PC, guess what, professional photographers all use one piece of software: Photoshop.

Macs have precisely 0 advantages for video, photo, audio, animation, or.. well, anything.

Sponsored Links
Mac, PC, guess what, professional photographers all use one piece of software: Photoshop.

Macs have precisely 0 advantages for video, photo, audio, animation, or.. well, anything.

Video [tv etc]is exclusively done on Mac based machines, pc's have never been able to cope, my last companies edit suite never possessed a pc , it would have taken a day to do on pc what the suite did in an hour.
My nephew works in animation, they don't use pc for anything, they have a multimillion pound budget, so if there was a pc out there that was up to the job they would have bought it .

Professionals need a reliable computer, my last company had an IT crew of 10 who were kept very busy by the 300+ pc's, they said the 150+ macs in company occupied less than 5% of their work.[mainly just installing them].

But I'm sure you know better. :LOL:

Video [tv etc]is exclusively done on Mac based machines, pc's have never been able to cope, my last companies edit suite never possessed a pc , it would have taken a day to do on pc what the suite did in an hour.

That's because the software they're using is only available for Macs, so they spend an entire day learning where the buttons are in another program. The platform means jack ****, and anyone who really thinks there's some massive performance difference between a Mac and a PC does not understand computers.

But I'm sure you know better. :LOL:

Than you, a load of fanboys, and management who are told by experienced salesmen and their fanboy employees that 'my product is just BETTER!!!!'? Yes.

If you want to use Mac specific software, you have no choice. If you want to use a cross-platform tool, it makes no difference what platform you use. Except to your wallet.

Hi Gavin,

Depends on whether you have used Windows or Mac in the past and whatever you feel more comfortable with. Many prefer Macbooks because they have always used Macs and don't want to let go of the notion as if Macs would be somehow superior to Windows laptops.

As noted above, major software vendors cook for both platforms and as for the price - if you are looking to splash out around £1000-£1500 mark the hardware is pretty similar on Macbook Pro, HP, Toshiba, Sony Vaio, Acer, etc.

as for the price - if you are looking to splash out around £1000-£1500 mark the hardware is pretty similar on Macbook Pro, HP, Toshiba, Sony Vaio, Acer, etc.

Except the £1500 Macbook is the same hardware as the £1000 anything else. Except Sony, they rip you off just as badly..

I agree with Monkeh here. There is no need to be arguing. Fact is my current Toshiba Satellite pro is a far more capable machine than my previous Macbook Pro. And that is not to say that a Mac somewhere isn't more capable than my Toshiba, as I am sure that there is. PC's are cheaper and easier to use, less gimmicky, will remain easier to upgrade firmware for longer than Mac machines. After those facts there is not really much difference other than personal preference.

Sponsored Links
Back