Which order to renovate a property?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will need to renovate a property and the big jobs are as follows:

1. New double glazing (including a couple of new external doors)
2. New electrics/lighting throughout (+ alarm, outside lights, A/V and network cabling)
3. New central heating system including rads (convert conventional to combi)
4. Completely decorate three bedrooms, landing and hallway
5. New guttering (not leaking at the moment, just old)

Which order would you do the above in?

What i'm after is advice on when to call in the required builders to do the above and what depends on what.

Also, how long would that little lot take if all the work could be done back-to-back?

Sponsored Links
The guttering can be done anytime, but you will find most window and door installers do guttering too.
But I would concentrate on getting the plumbing and electrics done first.
It's a tough call who to have in first, I would myself have the plumbing done or at least first fix for any pipe work that is going under the floors and in ceiling voids.
Then get the electrician in, I say this because I have seen plumbers run pipes with hot water in along side and quite often touching the electrical cables, this is hazard and most be avoided.
So if your electrician is competent he will avoid this.
You can then have the windows fitted
Then once first fix plumbing and electrics is done and windows and doors are in place, any remedial work to the walls and floors, such as plastering and joinery, can be done.
Then plumbers and electricians back for second fix and commissioning.
Then paint/decorate.

If it was me i'd strip walls first and check the condition of the plaster.

Get the plumber round and mark the sizes and positions of all rads and what and where he wants supply for the bioler and any bonding etc.

Get the windows fitted then the re-wiring done leaving the areas of floor that were lifted temporarily fixed down.

replaster around the windows and the chases. decorate walls that rads will be on then get the heating done and finally redecorate.

Get an old skool plumber and they will do the guttering too ;)

Sponsored Links
When we did our house some 10 years ago we had the heating and rewire done at much the same time and took 2 weeks, from your list i would then say double glazing and then gutter/decorating at the same time also, suppose it depends on how much you can do your self.

As another poster mentioned, most double glazing firms will fit new guttering if you want them to.

Time scale, heating and rewire say two weeks, double glazing a week'ish, guttering a few days....decorating unknown as depends what you will want, if it's a once over with paint maybe a week maybe more.

Do the heating before the electrics.

As PrenticBoy says, some plumbers don't care if the hot water pipes are touching the cables. Or even their gas torch for that matter! :evil:

Also, that way you don't end up with a socket behind a radiator.

Get the paper in as many rooms as possible stripped before the chasing out & plastering. You don't want to end up with skim over the wallpaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back