Which part of towel radiator valve connection is PTFE reqd?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay I understand you need about 15 turns of ptfe on the tail to rad thread, since it's metal to metal. On the other side of the connection i.e. the valve to copper pipe there is a compression fitting so that's taken care of.

BUT the tail to valve bit I've seen folk wrap ptfe tape on the thread, but why since there is a rubber O ring in the tail. Is this O-ring enough to provide a water tight connection to the valve?

What is the correct way?

Sponsored Links
Tail to valve should not need any tape as its compression. At most a smear of compound should be enough, but some do use tape which probably brings its own debates.

Depends on the fitting type. You can have a flat face with rubber seal or a compression fitting and olive, neither should need any other medium unless it's been off and on a million times and the seal is compromised.

Threads should only have thread/tape/compound when they're parallel and the fitting mechanically seals at the threads, tis really just a waste of time in any other instance

Depends on the fitting type. You can have a flat face with rubber seal or a compression fitting and olive, neither should need any other medium unless it's been off and on a million times and the seal is compromised.

Threads should only have thread/tape/compound when they're parallel and the fitting mechanically seals at the threads, tis really just a waste of time in any other instance

Hi Madrab,
As I thought, the rubber O-ring is sufficient as a sealer.

Thanks for confirming :)

Attachments

• 20170124_160449.jpg
    20170124_160449.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 347
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back