Which Plan??

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Trying to identify what type of system I have, any help would be appreciated.

I have an oil boiler that has a switched live going from the programmer, its a no name multi-zone programmer that is no longer made.
The programmer then has four switched live which all have time zone switching.
One switched live is connected to the standalone hot-water tank cylinder stat this controls a pump.
The other three switched lives are connected to three room thermostats, each one is connected to a separate pump.

I'd like to replace the programmer with Hive, although the system is fully pumped, one for HW and three for the CH zones I'm not sure how to wire the switched live to the boiler into it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Picture of the programmer.

20221122_211137 (1).jpg

There doesn't appear to be a wiring centre, everything seems to be wired from the programmer.
The brown circle is the permanent fused live, neutral and earth. The red circle shows the boiler switched live, neutral and earth. The yellow circle are two terminals marked "stat" but are just looped.
The rest of the wires are the switched live and the neutrals for each zone.
20221121_185411.jpg

This unit seems to generate a common 'call for heat' boiler and pump demand when any one of the six zones calls for heat. It is these functions that will be more difficult to replicate, so I suggest the following...
1. Use the Hive relay to replace a roomstat, driving its zone pump directly and switching live back to this programmer in order to generate the boiler and pump demand.
2. Program this Multizone unit to be ON 24/7 for each zone, then the Hive will control the zone to its schedule.

Alternatively connect each HIVE output to a two-gang relay, the first relay output to control the zone pump, the second commoned-up with the other outputs to create one mains boiler demand signal. This is to avoid having all zone pumps running when just one calls for heat.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, my initial thought is to go with the relays. Use a 2 Pole AC Contactor, one pole for the live to the pump and the other pole to the boiler, in common with the other zones as you said. The programmer is failing, so needs to go.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back