which rcd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
sijaysee said:
well i spoke to my electrician friend who said that i should fit a 30mA RCD as the main incomer.

I hope he's better as a friend than he is as an electrician.

Sponsored Links
thats very rude! He's been an electrician for 30 odd years and also worked for SWEB when he was younger. So you are saying that they are both wrong then? Should i just leave the voltage trip in then? Is that the safest way of going about it?

No.

A few better options have already been suggested. Pick any combination from:

Have the supply changed to PME (TNC-S) which may cost you £50 or so but might be free

Get a 100mA Time Delayed RCD (which probably will cost you more)

Put your Sockets and showers on a 30mA RCD, if necesary with a small new CU

Get some RCBOs or a Split-load CU

If you put your whole installation on a 30mA RCD, you will get a lot of nuisance trips; probably when you turn on your electric oven and/or immersion heater and/or computers, and sometimes for no reason that you can detect. As you obviously have an old installation with ceramic rewirables, it might trip constantly and fail to reset. When this happens, not only will you lose all power, so the food in your freezer will rot if you are away, and your alarms will run down, but also all the lights will go out, so if you are running downstairs, you will probably fall, if you are up a ladder or carrying something heavy, you may hurt yourself, if you are in the kitchen carrying a hot pan you may trip and scald yourself. Added to which you will have to find your way to the Consumer unit in the dark. I am surprised your friend did not take these risks into account.

Where did I work when I was younger?

Have you told us what type of breaker you already have, and its rating? ELCB is too vague.

p.s. Why do you say
"spesifying to the customer"
"for the customer to use"

Do you mean you are doing electrical work for someone? Are you a builder? Or an electrician? Or a property develoer? Or a landlord? Or what?

sijaysee said:
do all the sockets have to be on a 30mA RCD or is spesifying to the customer that they can only use the RCD socket enough?

regulation 471-15-01[code:1]A socket-outlet rated at 32A or lesswhich may reasonably be expected to supply portable equipment for use outdoors shall be provided with supplementary protection to reduce the risk associated with direct contact by means of a residual current device having the characteristics specified in Regulation 412-06-02(ii)[/code:1]

so that means every socket downstairs ( where you can run an extension lead through an open window to reach any of them ) has to be protected with an RCD.. this includes the socket that may be part of the cooker switch.. ( assuming that your kitchen is downstairs of course.. )

The shower doesnt have to be on a RCD does it? Only a rcommend. Whatever way i do it , it has to be better than the voltage trip thats there

Manufacturers installation instructions superceed the regs.. if it saye to put it on an RCD then you should do so..

Sponsored Links
i dont have an RCD in my house.For outdoor use or otherwise . Is that against the law? Im still waiting to hear whether pme is available. the voltage trip is a crabtree 60A ELCB. I think i'll do wot my health and safety boss told me to do which was to install a 100mA RCD and a 30mA socket for outdoor use. I wont touch the shower circuit. Im not gonna be leaving it in a worse condition than when i started am i? With the RCD its got to be an improvement on wot was there before

sijaysee said:
i dont have an RCD in my house.For outdoor use or otherwise . Is that against the law? Im still waiting to hear whether pme is available. the voltage trip is a crabtree 60A ELCB. I think i'll do wot my health and safety boss told me to do which was to install a 100mA RCD and a 30mA socket for outdoor use. I wont touch the shower circuit. Im not gonna be leaving it in a worse condition than when i started am i? With the RCD its got to be an improvement on wot was there before

Have you got the foggiest idea what you are doing.Why are you even attempting this work as you sound out of your depth :eek:

sijaysee said:
Im not gonna be leaving it in a worse condition than when i started am i? With the RCD its got to be an improvement on wot was there before

Well, perhaps, but why not do the job properly?

I assume it is not your property, hence you don't care too much about whether there is nuisance tripping etcetera...

sijaysee said:
He's been an electrician for 30 odd years

And it seems he is still working to the 14th Edition....A good spark does not stand still - there is always something new to learn & keeping up with the regulations is the bare minimum anyone should do.

the customer wont pay for a board change. All they wanted was a few new sockets and so these are the problems that have gone with it. The nuisance tripping shouldnt be a problem with the 100mA RCD. Like i said before , it has to be an improvement on wots there.

sijaysee said:
the customer wont pay
Do you mean you are doing electrical work for someone? Are you a builder? Or an electrician? Or a property develoer? Or a landlord? Or what?

why do u keep asking that? well i know , but i only wanted opinions , not interrogation!!

Probably because this is a DIY site, and probably because you should not be engaging in this type of work as a professional if you do not know what you are doing.

sijaysee said:
why do u keep asking that? well i know , but i only wanted opinions , not interrogation!!

Because it's ridiculous that you are charging someone for services which you don't know how to carry out. I'm glad you are seeking advice but if you don't hold even the most basic knowledge, I don't think you should be doing this type of work.

but the thing is that i have 3 different opinions of how to tackle the job properly and safely. 2 are from professionals known by me and others are from people on here that may be professionals but as i dont know them , i cant say that for sure. so what im saying is that some of these other people also dont know what they are doing. am i right?

Theres almost always more than one way of doing a job safely. It is understanding the dangers and how to overcome them safely which is important.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back