Which trade costs the most?

You get the same tunnelled response over and over again of DIY'ers, a warped sense of logic why and how good they are and how they go about justifying it.

Let me put it this way, I'll apply my good learned friend's Mr David P logic;

If you saw a so called 'building contractor' alias DIY'er fitting a bathroom suite then the very next day you go to the hospital for a extremely important operation and found the surgeon who was going to do the operation the same guy who was fitting the bathroom suite, I wonder what the response would be?

Maybe the response would be? "Well he fitted that bathroom suite OK, should be alright with me on the table because he is multi skilled";

Yeah right, pull the other one!! :confused:

Sponsored Links
Building Contractor's analogy isn't quite fair. Nobody's suggesting that a carpenter might be a good heart doctor, but a skilled surgeon might be equally capable of removing a gall bladder, as he is of repairing a hernia or mending a broken arm. It's his medical skills which we rely on.

By the same token, I might talk to my bank manager about various aspects of finance, but I wouldn't rely on his skill to, say, advise me about the various aspects of flying a plane. (In my case, my bank manager is useless at both :) )

Ah but it is Handyman, you see I employ a roofer to do a roofer's job because I depend on his skill as a fully trained roofer, I don't 'presume' because he installs tiling battens he can do a joiners job and install a window.

You are still in the frame of mind that if a guy is in the building trade he can turn his hand to most trades, that is the difference between the thought processes of a professional building contractor and the DIYer. I can't have guys going around my sites saying "I'm not bad at that but pretty good at that", I've got to 'know' that guy completely knows what he is doing so that I can leave him in the knowledge he will turn out a first class job regardless what obstacles are place in his path without having to look up in a manual or on a website

Building Contractor, for someone that seems to have an extreme hatred for DIY'ers carrying out work, why do you continue to browse and post on a DIY forum? :eek:

If you do not agree that there is a need for individuals carrying out minor repairs etc. then I think you are in the minority.

I think Masona made a valid point about how difficult it is to get a tradesman to do a small job. Ever tried to get a roofer to replace a couple of tiles?? Good luck!

By way of your own argument, to fit a bathroom would require about 6 different tradesman:

Plumber
Plasterer
Electrician
Carpenter
Tiler
Decorator

Now try and liaise all these tradesman to turn up at the appropriate time slot (and not trash other peoples work).

Ho hum.

Cost??? Maybe slightly inhibitive me thinks???

Sponsored Links
mildmanneredjanitor,

Sounds like you don't have to cut the lawn anymore either, that's the gardener job ! :LOL:

Oh er, who make the tea now, is it the tea lady :LOL:

Sorry Building Contractor, I have to agreed with mildmanneredjanitor if you're running a small family building firm.

I'll cut the lawn after I've done the ironing darling, and I put your coffee next to the TV remote!

Anyhoo, 5'7" is not small!

Just slightly lower than normal! :rolleyes:

Mildmanneredjanitor

I'll put your coffee next to the remote, good god man what is SHE doing with the remote.

Building Contractor said:
If you saw a so called 'building contractor' alias DIY'er fitting a bathroom suite then the very next day you go to the hospital for a extremely important operation and found the surgeon who was going to do the operation the same guy who was fitting the bathroom suite, I wonder what the response would be?

Maybe the response would be? "Well he fitted that bathroom suite OK, should be alright with me on the table because he is multi skilled";

hmmm. anybody remember Roger Bannister? ran the 1st 4 minute mile AND made a living as a brain surgeon.

now i realise that athletics is nowhere near as difficult as plumbing ;)
but i think the analogy still holds good.

strangely enough I know a locum G.P. who is also a well regarded artist-blacksmith. - a tricky moment when a woman friend of mine went to buy some of his work and realised she had been 'examined' by him some weeks earlier.
but that is another issue.

fitter said:
Mildmanneredjanitor

I'll put your coffee next to the remote, good god man what is SHE doing with the remote.

Happens every time I do the food shopping, come back and she has control... :D

And she drinks all my Lambrini!

Oh GOD! What's happened to me!!!!

I really don't think there is an easy answer to all of this. There will always be bodgers, even if you had to produce certificates to buy a spanner then the tool black market would supply equipment to DIYers. However, there will always be DIYers who take pride in their work. Remember the shower FWL_Engineer told us about, built by a Chemical Engineering lecturer if I recall?

Personally I am a physicist yet the Star Trek writers with their English literature degrees seem to know more about physics than me, what with their flukion protractor fields and so on. No one ever complains that charlatans are dipping into MY rice bowl! ;)

mildmanneredjanitor said:
Building Contractor, for someone that seems to have an extreme hatred for DIY'ers carrying out work, why do you continue to browse and post on a DIY forum? :eek:

If you do not agree that there is a need for individuals carrying out minor repairs etc. then I think you are in the minority.

I think Masona made a valid point about how difficult it is to get a tradesman to do a small job. Ever tried to get a roofer to replace a couple of tiles?? Good luck!

By way of your own argument, to fit a bathroom would require about 6 different tradesman:

Plumber
Plasterer
Electrician
Carpenter
Tiler
Decorator

Now try and liaise all these tradesman to turn up at the appropriate time slot (and not trash other peoples work).

Ho hum.

Cost??? Maybe slightly inhibitive me thinks???

hmm...extreme hatred against DIY's...I think you are going a little to far with your flame or flaming hatred against people who without question knows more than YOU about the building trade!

As you other little snide remarks about trades for a bathroom, actually for your information we completed a contract on a 200 year old house worth £2.5 that had all the bathrooms refurbished in the process, we used all the trades you have just named and to a very high standard, to such a high standard that in fact it was on a programme on the television a while ago, I'll not tell you more because a client confidence

As to posting on the forums, whats the matter? afraid I'll step on your toes and show you up!, why don't you go around the forums and look up my advice and see if you can add to it or exceed it :confused: .I actually I like helping people and they can get some professional advice from me instead of been subjected to some nonsensical rubbish that will either kill them or have a DIY disaster, so go and play with your 'little schoolboy' carpenters set or like I have stated, come around the forums with me and see how a real professional gives help.

hmm...extreme hatred against DIY's...I think you are going a little to far with your flame or flaming hatred against people who without question knows more than YOU about the building trade!

This is correct, I am not a builder.

As you other little snide remarks about trades for a bathroom, actually for your information we completed a contract on a 200 year old house worth £2.5 that had all the bathrooms refurbished in the process, we used all the trades you have just named and to a very high standard, to such a high standard that in fact it was on a programme on the television a while ago, I'll not tell you more because a client confidence

They were not intended as snide comments, just mearly indicating that it would be expensive. More suited to £2.5 Million pound refurb contracts like you stated.

As to posting on the forums, whats the matter? afraid I'll step on your toes and show you up!, why don't you go around the forums and look up my advice and see if you can add to it or exceed it :confused: .I actually I like helping people and they can get some professional advice from me instead of been subjected to some nonsensical rubbish that will either kill them or have a DIY disaster, so go and play with your 'little schoolboy' carpenters set or like I have stated, come around the forums with me and see how a real professional gives help.

It's input from true professionals like yourself that makes this forum so good.

(you can read that statement, anyway you choose)

You get the same tunnelled response over and over again of DIY'ers, a warped sense of logic why and how good they are and how they go about justifying it.

Let me put it this way, I'll apply my good learned friend's Mr David P logic;

Your, far fetched, analogy is somewhat flawed I think. Unless you are saying you are good at being a contractor but cr*p at everything else.

@mildmanneredjanitor

Thank you for your comments, Its nice to see a mature response...:)

@Studders: I think you need to read through posts a little more through before you hastily respond in future

@mildmanneredjanitor

@Studders: I think you need to read through posts a little more through before you hastily respond in future

Oh I doubt there's anything much you can teach me about forums or how to use them, but thanks for the input. Perhaps you might choose a more valid analogy next time you decide to use one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back