Which Trade emulsion?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whats better to use on newly skimmed walls? Dulux trade emulsion or Wickes Trade emulsion? I'm not sure on which to get because I couldn't find the Dulux in my local B&Q. I'm going to use this as a base first before I apply a coloured kitchen and bathroom paint.

Sponsored Links
Dulux Trade by definition means High Quality Paint. However, Wickes definition of the use of the word 'Trade' could have a different definition, meaning anything really ! Also, i notice that Wickes on there website DO NOT claim that Wickes Trade Emulsion can be used on new surfaces ! So be carefull. However, they claim that Wickes New Plaster Paint can be used over new surfaces (i.e. new plaster). But then again if you use Wickes New Plaster Paint and then apply a different brand over it and should anything go wrong then Wickes will take no blame. So be warned & use ONLY Wickes paint if u use Wickes New Plaster Paint.

Thanks guys I went with the Dulux super matt but found it was lifting in places when applied with a roller. I diluted the first coat 20%, not done a second coat yet although I'm running out so can I follow up with Trade matt, rather than super?

Sponsored Links
It is meant to be thinned down by 25% water. Me thinks you have not thinned it down enough, hence "lifting" OR the new plaster has been over-polished.

Thanks guys. I managed to get a second coat onto the walls and ceiling at the weekend so its now ready for the coloured topcoats. I finished off the ceiling with normal Dulux matt emulsion straight from the tub, but I watered down the Trade stuff by 20%, and I couldn't believe how thick it was to start with! :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back