Which TRV would fit this pipework?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had some good help from this site so far regarding my radiator problems and I'm now ready to fit some TRVs when I drain the system today. However I'm worried about buying the wrong type of TRV for my system as my radiators seem to have very old and thin pipework. Could you take a look at this photo and let me know what connection I need for the job? (sorry about the rotation but it's how my phone insists on uploading it and I can't seem to edit it on the site)

They all look like this on both sides (trying to work out which side gets hot first but there's not much in it). Some still have the plastic valve handle (again identical on both sides - they are Myson branded) but underneath they all look like this. I'm just a bit nervous of the size of the pipework as it seems extremely small compared to the valve fitting?

Any general fitting advice would be welcome too...

View media item 90374

Sponsored Links
The pipework won't be a problem but you'll need to change the fitting in the radiator

Look at the size of the two nuts on the pic of the TRV you've posted. They're both the same size. Now go and have a close look at the two nuts on your existing valve. You'll notice that the one at the bottom is much smaller than the one on the radiator side. The one on the bottom is the same size as the ones on the B&Q one, and so it'll be a straight swap, but you need to unscrew the existing radiator tail and large nut from your radiator and screw in the smaller sized one that comes with the new valve.

Sponsored Links
Look at the size of the two nuts on the pic of the TRV you've posted. They're both the same size. Now go and have a close look at the two nuts on your existing valve. You'll notice that the one at the bottom is much smaller than the one on the radiator side. The one on the bottom is the same size as the ones on the B&Q one, and so it'll be a straight swap, but you need to unscrew the existing radiator tail and large nut from your radiator and screw in the smaller sized one that comes with the new valve.

I realise what you mean now, was worrying over nothing is quite straightforward really. Tomorrow's job is to fit a towel heater in the bathroom!

May I ask are you learning plumbing and heating by consensus?

You'll need a rad key to remove the existing Union from the rad, failing that some grips lol

Yes just doing a bit of DIY from help here and YouTube. It's a lot more straightforward then I first thought although obviously I'm only doing the very basic stuff, anything beyond changing existing fittings I would get someone in. I've already got a radiator key thanks to a video I watched earlier lol

Isn't it good when someone watches a video and then says how easy it all is! why did I have to complete a 5 year apprenticeship and after 40 years in the industry i still would not call it "Easy"!! :eek:

Isn't it good when someone watches a video and then says how easy it all is! why did I have to complete a 5 year apprenticeship and after 40 years in the industry i still would not call it "Easy"!! :eek:

Don't get me wrong, a lot of it is baffling and even the basics would have been beyond me without sites like this. But whereas I wouldn't go messing with electricity or gas (obviously) tinkering with the water pipes is a bit more accessible.

I fully intend to pay a professional to replace the whole system one day but this will extend the life of my current system and be a bit more energy efficient.

Draining the system, taking off and cleaning radiators, replacing valves etc are all very easy to learn and the only reason I was comfortable with fitting the towel rail radiator is because the existing pipes are in the exact position required.

Just because you find it easy to change a fuse or fit a plug doesn't mean you don't value the work of an electrician ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back