Which Way Round For Plasterboard For Plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Years ago the plasterboard used to be laid grey side (facing) for plastering and the ivory side (facing) for dry lining or artexing. I have just laid all my plasterboard the grey side (facing), but have been told this is wrong!!! Is this true and is it a problem or not much of an issue? (Do I need to rectify before it is plastered)?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
yeah.... my old gaffer used to insist on grey out for plastering..never had any probs back then. i have since seen it done recently... still no probs. but in future, most dabbers go with ivory out.

That was the old rule taught to me, grey for plastering , white for artex, but new boards usually have written on the grey side, "apply finish to other side only" so from now on use the white side. Wont be no prob with grey side though

If you look ..the grey side paper ends on that side.....the white side wraps round the edge to the grey..........therefore grey can peel :rolleyes: :oops:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your comments, this has helped enormously, I was sure that when I have seen the foil back plasterboard at the merchants it is the ivory side that has the foil on, what would you do then, surely you would have to plaster the grey side !!!

Invisible-Man said:
Thanks for all your comments, this has helped enormously, I was sure that when I have seen the foil back plasterboard at the merchants it is the ivory side that has the foil on, what would you do then, surely you would have to plaster the grey side !!!
er, Yes :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back