Which wires to change

adm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just finished decorating passage way and landing and want to put a new two switch light switch in to work both the passage light and upstairs landing light as the one up looks a bit grubby.
The thing is at the moment the left hand switch as you look at it works the upstairs landing light which i can turn on and off from both downstairs and upstairs and the right hand switch works the passage light, both work perfectly fine but i want to change it so left hand switch works passage light and right hand switch works upstairs landing light.
At the moment the wiring is as follows:-

Left hand switch as you look at it has common at bottom with two red wires attached and at the top a yellow wire into L1 and a blue wire into L2.

Right hand switch as you look at it has single red wire into the other common at the bottom of the switch and nothing in L1 and a single yellow wire in L2 at the top of the switch.

Which wires do i need to change over so passage uses left hand side switch and upstairs landing light uses right hand side switch.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
You just swap them all - putting the wires into the same marked terminal on the other switch.

L com to R com
L L1 to R L1 and
L L2 to R L2

and vice versa.

Mark the wires before removing any so you know which is which.

.............Left switch....................Right switch
2g2w.jpg

Thanks for the reply i will try that tomorrow, the only difference to your sketch is both commons are at the bottom, will that make a difference.

Oh, sorry.

No, that makes it even easier - just use the C, L1 & L2 markings to transfer wires.

• Thanks
Reactions: adm
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back