Whirlpool AWM1400, does not start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine has a whirlpool AWM1400, it is about 5 years old. Usually, when any programme is selected the washer does not start, all that happens is the door will lock and the timer will start for a few seconds, stop, then repeat the process untill turned off. It does work sometimes (not often) but even then it will stop mid programme and all you can hear is the timer clicking round. I work for Hoover so have appliance experience, however I have delt very little with other manufacturers. As I can get it to start sometimes and also spin I would think the timer is faulty, would I be right? It seem to be intergrated into the control board and part number is 461974481031. If it is this part is it worth replacing? Any help very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The times it does start the programme for a few seconds and stops do you hear/see water flowing into the dispenser. If not have you tried a boil wash programme to see if that has similar start problems

yes there is water so I know the water valve works. There is no specific point to where it stops (when it does work), this is why I thought it would be the timer.
I know on some Hoover models the control board will look for a reading from each component attached before starting, if it cannot find what it expects it will not start.
I do not know if Whirlpool are the same but going on the fact that each component seems to work at some point, I thought it would be the timer.

Sponsored Links
No this model does not do an all round check before start. I think I would now agree with you that the probability is that it is the timer. As an ex white goods tech I can tell you we used to fix quite a lot of int problems by replace it and see, and if it was not the cause of the problem we still had a known good spare for the next machine. Unfortuneatley for the diy guy this could prove to be an expensive excercise. So if you decide to take the plunge and replace the programmer fingers crossed and let me know the outcome. Just after posting this message I remembered another possible cause. The wiring loom from the programmer to the motor does give intermittent faults. The loom if it is the suspect type, is situated front right on top of the programmer. It has 7 all black wires and leads directly down to the motor. It can be checked by aquiring a new loom and plugging it parallel one end to the programmer and the other to the motor refit top and back and retrying the machine and if this cures the problem clip the new loom all the way down the wiring harness and you can leave the old faulty one in, eithe clip the old plugs off both ends and tape up or tuck the old plugs out of the way.they will cause no harm boyh ends are open circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back