Whirlpool bath pump wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all, just a check on what i have been told:

Got a whirlpool bath just being connected, comes off ring main outside room has a 20ma RCD under bath it connects to pump via IP65 jbox.

There are no other electrical appliances in bathroom apart from lights (combi shower) - which are all ip65 with SELV double insulated transformers and are switched via pullcord.

One thing i've been told worries me slightly. the pump has a seperate 4mm earth connected to the steel bodywhich i assume is for bonding, the pipework is copper but joined using plastic pushfit connections, so i've been told its right that these aren't bonded (cos of polypipe). Firstly is this right, secondly does that mean the extra earth on the pump connects to the earth in the junction box along with its 'normal' earth?

i'm not doing this myself, the spark is, but i'm doing first fit inc running cables and i need be dead sure if this lot needs bonding under part p.

Cheers in advance, sorry for war and peace :)

Sponsored Links
20mA RCD? That's very unusual!

Supplementary bonding to metal items such as radiators and other pipework may be necessary and RCDs may be needed on other circuits in the bathroom. It all depends - you should ask your sparky - he has to sign it off and notify the works.

Sponsored Links
There are no other electrical appliances in bathroom apart from lights (combi shower) - which are all ip65 with SELV double insulated transformers and are switched via pullcord.
Is the lighting circuit RCD protected?
Is the pullcord in any of the bathroom zones?

i'm not doing this myself, the spark is, but i'm doing first fit inc running cables and i need be dead sure if this lot needs bonding under part p.
Then if possible I'd ask your spark, some have strange interpretations of the bonding regs and since he is the one signing it off you want to do things to his interpretation of the regs.

Thanks for the reply. pullcord is not in any of the zones., lighting is covered by the RCD on the CU (80ma). its an older CU and not split load so the RCD covers all circuits. we get lots of nuisance trips when bulbs blow etc :)

If he's not going to bond at all (which i think is his intention) does the bonding earth from the pump get wired into the junction box?

Sorry didnt really mean directly under bath, i can see it read that way. i mean in the room under the bath (utility!)

Any answer to my specific question regarding wiring the earth tail ?

I'm curious to know how you (or how your supposed) to join the tail from the pump to the circuit to CU? IP65 connector???

Piers

The connector needs to be suited to the environment where it is installed, if it is in a dry area then IP65 might be ott imo, however it depends also on what the manufacturer specs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back