whistling radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
please help
we have 4 radiators in our house that whistle.all radiators have thermastates attatched and when the radiator gets to the correct temperature they start to whistle.to stop them from whistling you have to either turn the temperature up or down.but when the radiator reaches this new temperature the buggers start to whistle again

Sponsored Links
Are these 4 rads nearest the pump? If pump is not in boiler ie not a combi or system boiler, try setting the speed one notch slower. Are these trv's same make as others that do not whistle? Are they 2 way trvs or 1 way fitted the wrong way, although this would normally sound like a pneumatic drill when they are closing!

no, the rads are all over the house ie front room,hallway ,4th bedroom,master bedroom.the boiler is a maxi combi boiler and the trvs are all the same and they are myson 2 way,any ideas
cheers
simon

sorry I haven't, although a while back one of my mates had 3 noisey new Honeywell trv's and when he replaced them noise were gone! Are these new and just been fitted?

Sponsored Links
no,we moved into this house last year and didn't really notice the noise because of the hot weather but when winter came we got a bit of a shock.i would say that the trv's are about 4 years old.do you think replacing them would cure it? and have you any idea how much they cost? and are they easy enough to fit?
thanks for your time
simon

Is it the song they're whistling that bothers you or don't you like whistling per se? ;)

Good valves like Honeywell or Danfoss will probably set you back about £8/£12 each depending where you get them. Drain down job, refill adding new inhibitor. Tiresome job but east

thanks very much for your help,and its not as much the whistling its when they burst into a rendition of killing me softly that really starts to rub me up the wrong way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back