Whistling rads?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had my central heating system balanced - auto-bypass set and lock shields set - but some of the rads are now whistling. Is the problem that the auto-bypass hasn't been properly set or something else?

Sponsored Links
The noise is probably the trv, they do it if water's going through too quickly.
Could be the ABV is set too high - what setting is it? What's the boiler (output size)?
Do you know which valve was adjusted on each rad to do the balancing?

Assuming it was the lockshield one, see how far open a whistling rad's one is. You'll need to take the cap off and use a small spanner or similar. If you find it was open more than a couple of turns (assuming its a few turns open to shut) try turning it down to say 2 turns open. At that position the rad will still be getting plenty of water to be hot enough.

Also try to establish if the trv is on the flow (hotter end) or return. Does the valve have a single or double headed arrow on it and is the head horiz or vertical?

takes less time to do than it does to write about...

I think the ABV is on about 4.5, is that too high/low for 18 rads? The boiler is a BAXI 133HE Plus condensing combi, the max heat out put is about 100,000BTU although my rads add up to around 60,000BTU.

I think the whistling trv's are on the flow and the sound does seem to stop if you wriggle the trv about a little bit, but its not quiet for long because the same rads start whistling again after a while.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back