White or Brilliant White?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just painted the mist coat on freshly plastered walls using thinned brilliant white emulsion. I have found that the whiteness makes it look quiet harsh, and a guy at B&Q suggested the obvious (!) of using white instead of brilliant white.

Does anyone actually use standard white anymore, and if I use, will it give a less harsh/warmer feel? Or is it just duller? Recommended?

I have lots of walls so buying a specific tinted paint is going to be too expensive.

Thanks..

Sponsored Links
Brilliant White can be far to bold in some rooms and some find them to overpowering, using a standard white won't so much appear duller but less stressful to the eye.

Dec

Hi, I tried magnolia (too yellow) and every Dulux 'off' white in the book, Jasmine white, Cotton White, Almond White etc. All of them looked slightly 'yellow'. Decided to just white wash the house and brighten the place up with coloured accessories.

I went for brilliant white on my ceilings. I then put brilliant white on one of the living room walls. In the day it looked OK but at night it was really harsh. I've now put Glidden White on the walls. In the day it's pure white but at night, under electric light, it's much softer.

Just finished the living room. It's very stark at the moment! Will be great once I've got some colour in the room.

Thanks for the feedback.

CookEe01 - Glidden is a brand, and presumably they do white and brilliant white? Which did you pick for your final look?

Thanks..

Sponsored Links
Hi - Glidden is the Dulux trade brand. I was advised to use it by my Dad's workmates in the building industry.

The Glidden is thicker and more opaque than normal Dulux (I've never tried Crown). The house had some dark colours on the walls and I've covered them in 2 coats.

It's also much cheaper than other paint. Approx £16 for 10 litres. The normal dulux is more like £25-£30 a tin.

I believe Glidden do Brilliant White but the one I used on my walls is Trade Contract Matt in White. The Dulux decorator centres stock it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back