white stain seeping out of a course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive got a real ugly white stain seeping out of one course of bricks i've laid...

i'm told it's effervescence from contaminated sand....it's started to calcify now and looks real unsightly..

I've tried a wire brush..no joy...anyone know of anything that will remove it...
Cheers Mondy

Sponsored Links
It could be lime run off. Calcium hydroxide is a by product of cement mortar. If the wall gets wet it can run out on to the wall and form hard calcium carbonate by absorbing CO2. Acid will break it down.

Hmmm im preety sure i did but cudn't be 100% as some might have been laid out the night before , as to the brick acid....anyone know what it's called and where it can be bought...

It's definately calcified as i can scrape the large runs with a chisel and it turns to dust ..

Cheers for replies lads

Sponsored Links
To remove hard lime I have always used a strong spirits of salt solution.
I brush it only on to the stained areas. To leave it to fade away on it's own would take a long time. I could show you walls where the lime run off has been on for at least 20 years. It's different from normal efflorescence.
Another method is to rub the area with a hard brick, but I don't personly use this method.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back