Who Applies for the Building Control?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Some works which is to be done on our house require Building Control (I'm assuming this is the same thing as Building Regulations?).

BC is for moving a toilet, removing a chimney stack and chimney breast and the last bit of work is for putting a doorway through a wall in the hallway.

Can you tell me, do I apply for this permission before the builders do the work or do the builders do the work and then I apply and the council come out to check its been done properly. Or do the builders apply for Building Control?

Many thanks
George

Sponsored Links
Ideally you ask the builders to arrange for Building Control to sign off the works and appoint them to get the works approved. They need to be appointed when the builders start on site and the few inspections will happen during the work not at the end. Ask your builders to ask for a certificate at the end. But if the builders are any good they will mention all this without prompting ......

Ultimately though it is your (the building owners) legal responsibilty to ensure the works comply and approval is granted.

You are ultimately responsible. Some work can be done under a Building Notice and usually your Builder will sort this out. Other work will require an application. This can be done with your Local Authority or through the now many independent Approved Inspectors.

OK. My house is in Devon (and I'm in Kent) - I haven't moved in yet. If the works has to be inspected as it's being done, I guess it must be best for the builders to arrange. If I arranged BC to come out and inspect and the builders don't turn up - people won't be happy. Sounds a right ruddy nightmare :(

Sponsored Links
As freddy says, it is ultimately the owners responsibility to make sure building regs are applied for and inspections are done. In most cases it is sensible to pass the responsibility for arranging inspections and meeting inspectors on to the builder but you must do that up front - it's no good springing it on them after the job has started. We get a lot of threads on here where owners thought builders were doing it and builders thought owners were doing it and in fact nobody was doing it.

OK - thank you Jeds. That makes sense. I will set the ball rolling.

What is the difference between a full plans application and a building notice application?

Building notice application is 20% dearer than full plans.

The policy of some LABCs may differ but generally, they're the same price, just broken down in different ways.

Should I do a full plans submission if it is cheaper - it just doesn't make sense to me why BN would be 20% dearer.

What would a builder prefer - full plans or building notice? A builder will be doing the work, not a DIYer.

Should I do a full plans submission if it is cheaper - it just doesn't make sense to me why BN would be 20% dearer.

What would a builder prefer - full plans or building notice? A builder will be doing the work, not a DIYer.
Building notice basically leaves all the decision making process in the hands of the builder which is then corroborated and approved (or not) by BC. You are placing your trust in your builder. There will be no price either because he will be making it up as he goes along, as with any fees. You need to pick an experienced builder you have faith in.

I prefer full plans (and price work) unless the client is fully aware of the fact that they will be paying for faff factor time also.

If using Local Authority, I would agree with others that Full Plans application is better (and you get a certificate at the end). However, you MAY get a better deal out of an Approved Inspector but it depends on the size of work. If you go AI, you need to ensure the Initial Notice is issued to the LA prior to the works starting on site.

For a full plan submission you need plans for the work with a specification... It is also to be noted that you now have a CDM requirement (health and Safety) look it up... I suggest you employ someone to look after the work for you be it a Principal contractor or principal Designer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back